Today's Messages (OFF)  | Unanswered Messages (ON)

Forum: Radio Mods
 Topic: IC-746 improved AGC and weak signal volume
IC-746 improved AGC and weak signal volume [message #13] Wed, 29 December 2004 01:47
root  is currently offline root
In the service manual under 5-4 RECEIVER ADJUSTMENT.

For setting the RECEIVER TOTAL GAIN.

Part 1 follow as written.
Part 2, set R761 for 178mV (-15dB).

This gives a better(lower) AGC knee signal level and during weak signal reception maintains good volume level without having to manually advance the volume control. This is especially useful for Six and Two metre weak signal work.

The noise blanker, general AGC action and S meter calibration were not adversely affected.
 Topic: IC746:Using 500Hz filters on SSB for Dig Modes
IC746:Using 500Hz filters on SSB for Dig Modes [message #12] Wed, 29 December 2004 01:45
Hi there!

I ran usually my old TS440S-AT with 500Hz IF filters on USB mode for the Pactor lev 1 and 2, and for PSK31 very weak signals.
Some week ago I found in a Ham fair an FL100 CW filter for the IC746 at a bargain price, and in the last days it happened to me to have some time to devote to our hobby, and so I installed the 9 Mhz IF filter for 500Hz, FL100, on the IC746 for pactor 1 and 2 and psk31, as I am used to.

I followed the instruction on page 78 of the ICOM user manual.
After returning all the covers on, I went to page 60 of the instruction manual, to select the installed filter for the 9MHz-1 position.
I selected the FL100 . Then I went on page 42 for filter program mode setting as suggested on the page 60.
Note on the top of page 42, at the beginning of the chapter 5-11, 1st paragraph: \" Optional filters ....omissis...
.. Filters can be independently selected for each operating mode.\"
And so I went to program mode setting and pushed the \"filter\" button for 2 seconds and then choosed to program the CW and the SSB-Narrow for 9M on 500Hz and 455k for 2.4 k ..... but - surprise - the FL100 was not available on SSB!

I suspiciously read carefully the manual and find nothing on selecting filters depending from mode choosen..... or relation between filter type and/or bandpbass sensing... nothing. So I went to the usual \"dirty trick way\" to gamble with the filter program mode setting: I told the IC746 that the installed filter was an SSB Narrow 1.9kHz one, the FL223 type. All OK , hi hi ....

Then I went again on the procedure of page 42, and set the SSB-N filter mode for 9M \"1.9 kHz\" (hi!) and 455k at 2.4kHz.

It runs OK having now bandpbass of 500Hz on SSB-N mode available for Pactor lev1 and lev 2, and PSK31. On the TS440SAT I had to correct for the IF filter frequency moving the IF bandpbass slightly clockwise to fit it for the selected tone pair (1200-1400 Hz or 1400-1600 Hz) and the same had to be done on the IC746: selecting as usual USB I had to tune the outer larger one of the twin bandpbass tuning about 90 degrees clockwise.
This proved to be quite a god setting for operation on USB Pactor level 1 and 2 using high tones.

I tested some lower tone pair compatible with the CW bandpbass (but take care of the CW Pitch setting!!! it should be tuned fully clockwise or you\'ll get no audio out!) and tested with 400-600Hz, 500-700Hz and 600-800 Hz , but although the PtcII controller I use is very versatile on this respect, my ears are not, and so being used to \"by ear search and pre-tuning\" and then \"spectra fine tuning\" I endly went back to the usual 1500 Hz center frequency. I got 1500 Hz as I am also using pactor level3; before it I was using 1300 Hz center.

Here people using other controllers like KAM+ or alike have to adjust their bandpbass tuning depending on the tones frequencies they use.

Actually I have not yet the FL52A 500Hz 455kHz filter; if I\'ll find it at bargain price I\'ll buy it and test it;
I saw by now that having 2.4 kHz bandpbass on 455 kHz works.

I have to say that apart from this test and related trick to get the 500Hz bandpbass for USB digital RX, I would not suggest asnecessary to buy and install such filters on the IC746 : with the PtcII controller you may work very well on pactor, psk31, rtty and other 500Hz bandpbass modes on the IC746; (do not use the DSP and or NB, NR sometimes\'s good, some others no)

The same applies for the soundblaster software programs like Digipan or others, the normal bandpbass is more than adequate, and you may taylor it using the twin bandpbass tuning.

I recommend the narrow filters on TS440sat and alike: more,I suggest on them to replace also the 455kHz filters with other that have better performances (IN-RAD has some good ones) and the old good TS440S will copy nicely and happily very low level digital signals.

I hope this notes will be useful for some reader, I will appreciate any feedback on this matter.

Thanks and 73 de I2JJR Augusto
 Topic: IC-746 Backlight Repair
IC-746 Backlight Repair [message #11] Wed, 29 December 2004 01:44
Here you go guys, here is the repair mod for the backlight.

Remove top and bottom cover.

Remove the 4 screws holing on the face, 2 on left and 2 on right of face holding it to chbassis. Theres 1 ribbon cable connecting the face to main unit, just pull strait out.

Remove knobs just by pulling them off. VFO just pulls off also.

Unplug all ribbon cables on back of face, number them with a permanent marker if you think you might mix them up.

There is 5 screws holding the top circuit board in, take them out and lift up board, be carefull and feed 2 of the ribbon cables through the board. On the back side of this board there are 2 steel boxes on the board. Take the top off of the biggest one.
You will see a small square transistor with the #B1201 on it. This is the problem transistor thats been giving backlight problems.

This transistor has no way of cooling laying flat on the board.remove this at your own risk. You have to have a small tip iron and a good set of eyes and steady hands. The center leg on the transistor is cut off, this is the ground leg, and the top of the trans is soldered to the board.

Heat the top of the transistor and lift it and it will come loose,then unsolder the legs and lift. Remember which way it came out. Take the new trans and don\'t cut the center leg off, the center leg needs to be soldered where the top of the transistor was soldered. And the other 2 where they were from the start, leaving the part standing up instead of laying flat on the board.

Now push the transistors side against the metal box and put some heatsink compound around the transistor and between the part and box, now it can keep cool.

Thats it, put the top back on and put the unit back together. Replacment part #s are NTE2525 or 2SA1244 or 2SB1201, good luck and take your time.

Works well
 Topic: IC-746 modulation on AM
IC-746 modulation on AM [message #10] Wed, 29 December 2004 01:43
If you want more crisper and louder modulation on AM, turn radio upside down and remove cover at the top right hand corner of radio you will see a varible that says (AM mod). Clockwise increases mod and counter clockwise decreases mod. You might want to use another radio on the same frequency so you can hear results. The radio that you are listening with needs no ant screwed in to it being that you are only listening.

I have done this and mine has loud crisp modulation. Remember, no compression on AM, you will find that it will muffle you on AM.

Do at your own risk.

73s
 Topic: Monitor Audio Output Too Low Icom IC-746
Monitor Audio Output Too Low Icom IC-746 [message #9] Wed, 29 December 2004 01:43
The monitor function on the IC-746 tends to have low output compared to receiver AF volume, therefore in order to listen to yourself, you have to increase the volume. When the PTT is released back to receive mode, the AF setting nearly blows your speaker or your headphones.

If the monitor audio output is too low on your ICOM 746, you can add 4.7K resistor in parallel with R1087. This brings up the gain of IC1082 to a more reasonable level that can still be controlled by the monitor level function but with plenty more gain.

Technical Notes:

These SMDs are located in the Main Board. You will probably need a service manual to locate these parts on the main board. Adding modifications to these very small parts requires some skill and a good magnifier together with the appropriate tools. A 1/8 Watt resistor will be suitable for this modification, but still require some precision.
 Topic: Power mod for the ICOM IC-746
Power mod for the ICOM IC-746 [message #8] Wed, 29 December 2004 01:42
Power mod for the ICOM IC-746
Remove bottom cover.

Find the voice module plug-in.Right behind it you will see 4 pots

R993 144 mhz power adj
R991 50 mhz power adj
R989 HF bands power adj
R990 AM power adj

You can tweak these to up the power suggest on hf doing it on 40 meters. you can get close to180 watts on 40-75 meters about 125 to 150 on 20-10.

The pots are very small be careful not to use something to big. the are all metal pots.

NI4L

[Updated on: Sun, 06 May 2007 12:50]

Topic: Extended RX/TX for IC-746
Extended RX/TX for IC-746 [message #7] Wed, 29 December 2004 01:41
Open the bottom cover of the IC-746
Place radio on surface upside down with front to your left.

Find chip label HD6433042SFB24
To the right of this chip (3/4 inch) are two rows of diodes.

14 diodes in the right column and 7 diodes in the left column.

For Icom 746 Radios with the diodes in the 1, 2, 6, 7, 9, 11 and 14 positions, remove numbers 6 and 7 leaving the other 5 in place.
Mod complete.
 Topic: Separating the Tx and Rx lines on 2 meters in the IC746 could not be easier
Separating the Tx and Rx lines on 2 meters in the IC746 could not be easier [message #6] Wed, 29 December 2004 01:40
Separating the Tx and Rx lines on 2 meters in the IC746 could not be easier.

Put the rig on the bench with the front panel facing towards you, and turn upside down, with the front panel still facing towards you.

Remove the bottom cover.

At back-left there is a 5 inch square metal screening plate held in place by four screws - remove it.

You will see a miniature co-ax plug and cocked, labeled VRX. Simply unplug, tuck the original plug out of the way and plug in a new plug attached to a length of miniature coax, which can neatly leave the rig through the hole on the back panel that contains an earth bolt. Now you have your separate receive input!

You could cut off and re-use the miniature co-ax plug, but I preferred to contact my local Icom dealer and buy a new one (a couple of dollars) - the Icom description is: PLUG TMP-P01X-A1 (Min Coax) IC-125.

David, G4YTL

[Updated on: Wed, 29 December 2004 01:40]

Topic: IC-746 (USA models) All Band TX Modification
IC-746 (USA models) All Band TX Modification [message #5] Wed, 29 December 2004 01:38
This information is to help clear the confusion about the ICOM IC-746 modification for out of amateur band transmissions. There are a couple of different mods floating around for the IC-746. For USA models, the following information is the ONLY mod for the IC-746! I verified this with my contacts at ICOM. They verified that this was the ONLY modification for the IC-746 (USA model) and that there were NO others. I then performed the modification and the radio transmits from about 100KHZ to 60MHZ and 118MHZ to 176MMZ so be careful with this mod!

Read the following instructions all the way through before performing this mod. Perform this modification ONLY if you feel capable of soldering VERY small surface mount diodes! Do this totally at your own risk.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Turn the radio upside down and position the front panel to your right. The main tuning knob will be to your lower right and the microphone connector to your upper right. This will orientate the radio in the proper direction to read the parts layout identification silk screening. (Note: the IC part numbers will be UPSIDE DOWN.)

Remove the twelve screws from the sides and bottom securing the bottom cover.

Locate the Circuit board with the Optional IF filters. The filters will be in the upper left hand corner of the circuit board. Look to the lower middle of the circuit board for silk screening that reads “Option UT-102”. (almost the center of the radio) Immediately to the right of the “Option UT-102” silk screening you will see two columns (14 positions in each column) of VERY small surface mount diodes in a tight configuration. I’ll call them diode positions 1-14. This column should have diodes in EVERY position 1-14. The next column to the right is diode positions 15-28. This column should have diodes in positions 15, 18, 20, 22, 23, 27 and 28 as shown below.

[01] [15]
[02] [ ]
[03] [ ]
[04] [18]
[05] [ ]
[06] [20]
[07] [ ]
[08] [22]
[09] [23]<-- Remove this diode only!!!
[10] [ ]
[11] [ ]
[12] [ ]
[13] [27]
[14] [28]

Diode 23 is VERY small and has a small “Y” on top of it. Use the finest pair of tweezers you have to remove diode 23 ONLY! Make sure you remove diode 23 only and NO other diodes! Make sure you have NO solder bridges as the diode pads are VERY small!

Use a clear piece of tape and tape the diode to one of the metal covered cans near the columns in the same orientation you removed it. This way you’ll have your diode to reinstall if you ever feel you need to and you’ll know the orientation of the diode.

This completes the TX modification. Replace the cover and screws.

TX should be from about 100KHZ to 60MHZ and 118MHZ to 176MMZ.

Do this totally at your own risk. Never, transmit out of the ham bands or your privileges.

Lyndel, N7LT
Forum: APRS
 Topic: Trimble Placer GPS 450 Power - Dis-assembly
Trimble Placer GPS 450 Power - Dis-assembly [message #3044] Fri, 11 July 2014 22:57
I recently acquired a large quantity of the Trimble Placer 450 GPS units for my local ares/races group. None of them came with power cords.

Research let me to this forum but the connector wasn't easy to obtain. Another resource showed me that this is a min-xlr connector, a Switchcraft TA3 connector and the female version would be needed. Again, the connectors were $7+ a piece. Trimble themselves want to charge me $20 per cable. I love my group, but every penny counts.

I said screw it. I'll do what I've done before when companies don't make it easy. I decided to figure out the layout of the pins and simply remove the connectors. You can either put in your own connector or do what I did and hardired it with a pigtail.

NOTE: If you have some of these and want to get rid of them, my local ares/races group is looking for more.

DISCLAIMER: It's not my fault if you screw something up so don't blame me! I'm only sharing my experience. If you don't know what you are doing, seek the assistance of someone who does. If you are drunk, stoned, or just don't have steady hands, I don't recomend this.

Here's how to get it done:

1) remove the series of screws on the top of the GPS
2) remove the series of screws on the bottom of the GPS
3) remove the nuts and serial stands from the front of the unit. One nut and washer from the antenna connector, two stands per serial port (6 total in my unit), one nut from the power connector. The unit should seperate easily now.
4) remove the 4 screws holding the PCB to the bottom of the case.
5) pinch closed the tension fittings. They look like odd phillips screws with 4 quarters of a post. There is one on the upper left and mid right.
6a) remove the power connector. I broke both sides of the plastic holder. I then pulled the plug itself until it was verticle. I then snipped the 3 conductors and continued to remove the plastic holder.
6b) break out the soldering iron and remove the broken conductors from the 3 solder pands.

BEFORE I CONTINUE: The 3 pads on the PCB look like a triable. One on the top and two immediatly below it. The top pad is (positive) + and is the ignition sense. The bottom left pad is regular (positive) + power. The lower right pad is (negative) -. You need to combine the ignition sense AND postive in order to keep it fully on. You can use the ignition sense if you want to wire it into your car. It uses approx. 300mA, the manual on Trimble's website yields more information. Each hole in the PCB on the solder pads are rather small.. I went through 3 sizes of wire before I used some wires from a Cat5e Ethernet cable.

7) grab the soldering iron and solder the leads into the holes on the pads. Make sure not to bridge surface traces.
8a) secure your soldered leads. I used a combination of silicone and "welders" glue. I also soldered my leads to larger more flexible wires so I could secure the solder points and use more flexible wire for remote power.
8b) reassemble, apply 12v DC, and enjoy.

NOTE: You need to configure the gps to do NMEA output. It does not do this by default unless someone has configured the unit for you. As you may already know, this gps REQUIRES an external GPS antenna. They can be found for less than $20 on ebay. Please refer to the owner's manual. It's full of useful information.

73's KC9LFD - kc9lfd at kc9lfd dot org (yes, hard to remember I know... you may want to write it down and post it on the fridge
 Topic: What is APRS?
What is APRS? [message #99] Sun, 21 January 2007 20:15
kc2nda  is currently offline kc2nda
Automatic Position Reporting System (APRS) is an amateur radio based automatic position reporting system for tracking and digital communications, and was developed by Bob Bruninga, callsign WB4APR, at the United States Naval Academy.

In its simplest implementation, APRS is used to transmit real-time reports of the exact location of a person or object via a data signal sent over amateur radio frequencies. In addition to real-time position reporting capabilities using the Global Positioning System, APRS is also capable of transmitting a wide variety of data, including weather reports, short text messages, radio direction finding bearings, telemetry data, and storm forecasts. Once transmitted, these reports can be combined with a computer and mapping software to show the transmitted data superimposed with great precision upon a map display.

In its most widely used form, APRS is transported over the AX.25 protocol using 1200 baud Bell 202 audio frequency-shift keying on frequencies located within the amateur 2-meter band - usually 144.390 MHz in North America, 145.175 MHz in Australia, 144.575 MHz National APRS Freq and 144.650 digipeaters New Zealand please check with locals as there is no set coverage of any APRS Freq through out NZ, 144.930 MHz in Argentina, 145.570 in Brazil and 144.80 MHz throughout Europe. An extensive digital repeater, or "digipeater" network provides transport for APRS packets on these frequencies. Internet gateway stations (i-Gates) connect the on-air APRS network to the APRS Internet System (APRS-IS), which serves as a worldwide, high-bandwidth backbone for APRS data. Stations can tap into this stream directly, and a number of databases connected to the APRS-IS allow web-based access to the data as well as more advanced data mining capabilities. A number of low-earth orbiting satellites and the International Space Station are capable of relaying APRS data.
 Topic: APRS Frequencies
APRS Frequencies [message #98] Sun, 21 January 2007 20:10
kc2nda  is currently offline kc2nda
A Radio Amateur installation would use a 2-meter transmitter and TNC.; The new APRS frequency of 2-meter is 144.39 MHz.
Although I have seen other frequencies used by other clubs, this is the common frequency.

I used the PSK31 device on this site to decode APRS packets. The link to this homebrew device is: http://www.hamradio.cc/projects/psk31_circuit_interface.php

TrueTTY will decode the APRS transmissions. This can be downloaded at: http://www.dxsoft.com/

KC2NDA

[Updated on: Sun, 21 January 2007 20:11]

Forum: Misc. Ham Forum
 Topic: RADIOS FOR SALE AT CHEAP PRICES.( w5apf@aol.com )
RADIOS FOR SALE AT CHEAP PRICES.( w5apf@aol.com ) [message #3043] Mon, 23 June 2014 12:16
w5apf  is currently offline w5apf
I am selling my rigs due to my Bad health issues.
Below is a list of rigs for sale at give-away prices.

Icom IC-756 ProIII.....$1300

ICOM IC-7800 HF Transceiver.....US$4,300

Yaesu FTDX5000MP HF Transceiver.....$3850

Elecraft K3/100 & P3 Panadapter.....$1850

Kenwood TS 990.......$5599

Colins KWM2-A......$1700

Flex 5000A SDR.......$1600

Pls contact me for low prices.

I can ship international to ham users worldwide.

Email: w5apf@aol.com

Phone: +1 501 708 1005

Callsign: w5apf

David
 Topic: Buy Apple Iphone 5S 32GB $500/Apple iPad 5 Air 4G 32GB$430/Apple Iphone 5 32GB$350
Buy Apple Iphone 5S 32GB $500/Apple iPad 5 Air 4G 32GB$430/Apple Iphone 5 32GB$350 [message #3034] Tue, 27 May 2014 05:17
pepmusley  is currently offline pepmusley
WE GLADLY WELCOME!! YOU TO MUSLEY STORE LIMITED®

MUSLEY STORE LIMITED® NOW OFFER A ANNUAL SALE!!!

We are dealers of all kinds of Mobile Phones Such as Apple Iphone, Blackberry, Nokia, Samsung, HTC, Sony Ericsson and many more. All our products are brand new, Original, comes with complete accessories and they also come with 1 year international warranty.

We also give 90 days return policy on every products that has been paid for and delivered to it owner, if within this days your equipment develop any fault or damages you can return it back to us: We make shipment through FedEx Express/UPS/DHL Services within 48hrs to your doorstep.

Our Offer!
Buy 2 Get 1 Free
Buy 3 Get 1 Free + Free Shipping
Buy 5 Get 2 Free + Free Shipping

Store :: Mobile & Gadgets Department

PLACE YOUR ORDER WITH US @ MUSLEY STORE LTD

For purchase enquiry you can contact us via any email below... SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Contact Name : Darren Fowler
Email : musleyltd@musetr.com
BBM 24Hrs Chat : 25F0DE33

Apple Iphone:
Apple iPhone 5S 16GB ....$450USD
Apple iPhone 5S 32GB ....$500USD
Apple iPhone 5S 64GB ....$550USD

Apple iPhone 5C 16GB ....$380USD
Apple iPhone 5C 32GB ....$400USD

Apple iphone 5S 64GB 24K Gold : $1,200 USD
Apple iphone 5S 32GB 24K Gold : $1,000 USD
Apple iphone 5S 16GB 24K Gold : $900 USD

Apple Iphone 5 64GB .....$370 USD
Apple Iphone 5 32GB .....$350 USD
Apple Iphone 5 16GB .....$330 USD

Apple Ipad:
Apple iPad 5 Air Wi-Fi + 4G 128GB ....$530 USD
Apple iPad 5 Air Wi-Fi + 4G 64GB .... $500 USD
Apple iPad 5 Air Wi-Fi + 4G 32GB .... $430 USD
Apple iPad 5 Air Wi-Fi + 4G 16GB .... $400 USD
Apple iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + 4G 64GB .... $430 USD
Apple iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + 4G 32GB .... $400 USD
Apple iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + 4G 16GB .... $380 USD
Apple iPad 4 Wi-Fi + 4G 64GB .... $390 USD
Apple iPad 4 Wi-Fi + 4G 32GB .... $370 USD
Apple iPad 4 Wi-Fi + 4G 16GB .... $350 USD
Apple iPad mini Wi-Fi + 4G 64GB.... $380 USD
Apple iPad mini Wi-Fi + 4G 32GB.... $360 USD
Apple iPad mini Wi-Fi + 4G 16GB.... $350 USD
Apple IPad 3 WiFi + 4G 64GB .... $340 USD
Apple IPad 3 WiFi + 4G 32GB .... $320 USD
Apple IPad 3 WiFi + 4G 16GB .... $300 USD

Sony PlayStation 4 - 500 GB .... $350 USD
Xbox One Console.........................$400 USD

BLACKBERRY PORSCHE DESIGN P9981 24K GOLD .... $800 USD
BLACKBERRY PORSCHE DESIGN P9981 BLACK/WHITE .... $500 USD

Blackberry:
BlackBerry Porsche Design P'9982 ..... $600USD
BlackBerry Z3 ..... $500USD
Blackberry Z30 .....$400USD
BlackBerry Q10 ...... $350USD
BlackBerry Q5 ..... $330USD
BlackBerry Z10 ...... $300USD
BlackBerry Porsche Design P'9981....$500USD
BlackBerry Porsche P9981 WITH SPECIAL PIN $600USD
Blackberry TK Victory......$380USD
BlackBerry Playbook WiMax.......$340.00USD
BlackBerry 4G Playbook LTE......$300.00USD
BlackBerry 4G Playbook HSPA+.....$310.00USD
BlackBerry 4G 64GB PlayBook Wi-Fi Table......$320USD

Samsung:
Samsung Galaxy S5 SV SM 32GB .... $550USD
Samsung Galaxy S5 .... $500 USD
Samsung Galaxy S5 + Galaxy Gear 2 :: $600 USD
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 LTE SM-P905 .... $490 USD
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Neo Duos SM-N7502 .... $480USD
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Neo SM-N7505 .... $470USD
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 + Galaxy Gear .....$450 USD
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition)....$430USD
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005.....$400USD
Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 ..... $350USD
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0.........$400USD
Samsung I9506 Galaxy S4 ...... $360USD
Samsung I9505 Galaxy S4 .....$360USD
Samsung Galaxy S4 zoom .....$360USD
Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9200.....$400USD
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100....$400USD
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 P5220.....$400USD
Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100.......$300USD
Samsung I9190 Galaxy S4 mini.......$360USD
Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch ..... $200 USD
Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III.....$300USD
Samsung Galaxy Note LTE 10.1 N8020.....$390USD
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000....$400USD
Samsung I8190 Galaxy S III Mini....$280USD
Samsung Rex 80 S5222R ..... $320USD
Samsung I8530 Galaxy Beam......$270USD
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.....$260USD
Samsung U380 Brightside.............$250USD
Samsung I9070 Galaxy S Advance.....$260USD
Samsung Galaxy Player 70 Plus......$250USD
Samsung I9105 Galaxy S II Plus....$230USD
Samsung Galaxy Y S5360.........$200USD
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 .......$260USD
Samsung Galaxy Pocket S5300.......$220USD
Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-1717.....$240USD
Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II.....$190USD
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.....$190USD

Nokia:
Nokia XL ..... $370 USD
Nokia X+ ..... $350 USD
Nokia X ..... $340 USD
Nokia Lumia Icon/929 .... $330USD
Nokia Lumia 1520.....$350 USD
Nokia Lumia 1020.....$340USD
Nokia Lumia 925......$330USD
Nokia Lumia 928......$300USD
Nokia Lumia 920......$290USD
Nokia Lumia 820......$280USD
Nokia Asha 311......$260USD
Nokia 808 PureView....$270USD
Nokia N9....$240USD
Nokia Lumia 900....$250USD
Nokia Lumia 800....$240USD
Nokia Lumia 710....$230USD

HTC:
HTC One ( M8 ) ..... $400 USD
HTC One (M7) ..... $350 USD
HTC 8XT ..... $370 USD
HTC One Max 803s .... $370 USD
HTC Butterfly S .... $360 USD
HTC Desire 600 Dual Dim.....$350 USD
HTC One....$340 USD
HTC One mini...$330 USD
HTC First...$320USD
HTC Trophy.....$300USD
HTC One VX.....$300USD
HTC One X+.....$290USD
HTC One X......$290USD
HTC One XL.....$270USD
HTC One S......$260USD
HTC One V......$250USD

Sony Ericsson:
Sony Xperia Z2 .... $400 USD
Sony Xperia Z1 ..... $390 USD
Sony Xperia Z Ultra .....$380 USD
Sony Xperia Z .....$360 USD
Sony Xperia M .....$350 USD
Sony Xperia L .....$340 USD
Sony Xperia V .....$320 USD

Motorola:
Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX......$300USD
Motorola MT917......$300USD
Motorola XT928......$300USD
Motorola RAZR XT912......$290USD
Motorola RAZR XT910......$280USD

Sony PlayStation 4 - 500 GB .... $350 USD
Xbox One Console.........................$400 USD

Other Mobiles:
LG G2 --- $380USD
Google Nexus 5 ----$350USD
Motorola Moto G ----$350USD
AT&T Z998 ---- $270USD

Samsung Galaxy S5 16GB Unlocked....$500 USD
Samsung Galaxy S5 32GB Unlocked....$550 USD

Available as:
Samsung SM G900F/SM G900H for Europe
Samsung SM G900I for Asia
Samsung SM G900K/G900L/G900S for Korea
Samsung SM G900M for Vodafone
Samsung SM G900A for AT&T
Samsung SM G900T for T Mobile
Samsung SM G900V for Verizon
Samsung SM G900R4 for US Cellular
Samsung SM G900P for Sprint

Others ::
Canon XH A1 Mini DV Digital Camcorder $700 USD
Canon EOS 5D Mark II .... $650 USD
HP ENVY 14 Beats edition series...... $999.99 USD
Bose® Lifestyle 235 Home Entertainment System ........... $1,599 USD
Bose® Lifestyle V25 Home Entertainment System ........... $1,610 USD
Apple MacBook Air - Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz - 13.3 ------ 400.00 USD
Leica S-Adapter for Hasselblad H-System Lenses
Leica | 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux M Aspherical Manual Focus Lens
Leica S - Type 006 - Digital Medium Format Slr Camera Body
Miller 903471 XMT 304 CC/CV 208-230/460 W/Auto-Link.....$1,700 USD

PLACE YOUR ORDER WITH US @ MUSLEY STORE LTD

For purchase enquiry you can contact us via any email below... SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Contact Name : Darren Fowler
Email : musleyltd@musetr.com
BBM 24Hrs Chat : 25F0DE33

MGT
 Topic: New Elecraft K3/P3 & Yaesu FTDX5000MP AD6xJ@LIVE.COM
New Elecraft K3/P3 & Yaesu FTDX5000MP AD6xJ@LIVE.COM [message #3011] Mon, 23 September 2013 01:17
AD6XJ  is currently offline AD6XJ
I have a Yaesu FTDX5000MP HF Transceiver for sale.
Comes with all accessories, triple box and manual.The radio comes from a non-smoking environment,
comes with all factory box's, manuals, SM-5000 panadapter/speaker, Remote Keypad, power cord.
Software versions are current.
Price: $2,700usd/€2,000Euro

For sale is my Elecraft K3/P3 station.
Included 100 watt amp, antenna tuner, 250 and 400 hz 8 pole filters, KXVA3A, KTCXO3, Panadaptor P3 and hand mic.
Includes interconnecting cable (P3 to K3), K3 pwr leads and all manuals. Latest firmware.
Never around smoke. Never portable.
Works great like new, just not for me.
Asking: $1900usd/€1,410Euro

I can ship worldwide via DHL FedEx or UPS.

Call: (+1) 909-999-3834
Email: AD6xJ@LIVE.COM
Mr.Robert
73 and God Bless
AD6xJ

Topic: Hello, everyone
Hello, everyone [message #1080] Sat, 12 November 2011 12:46
bg7iae  is currently offline bg7iae
Hello HAM, Everyone! i from china, SZ city. Very pleased to be here. PRO5150 CPS here? 73!

de bg7iae.
bg7iae@szham.org
Forum: Icom Mods
 Topic: ICOM IC-706 MARS/CAP Modification
ICOM IC-706 MARS/CAP Modification [message #3041] Wed, 11 June 2014 00:32
Tools required:
l #0 Philips head screwdriver
l 10 - 15 watt pencil tip soldering iron
l Magnifying glass
l Tweezers
Remove the TOP cover by removing three Philips head screws on the top and one on each side. Move the speaker bracket out of the way. Locate D-59, this is a three terminal SMD diode in an SOT package, about 1 x 3 mm (with the radio front panel oriented towards you, D-59 is located in a row of SMD diodes just to the right of the ribbon cable header above the 9 MHz SSB filter FL-30. There are pads for 5 diodes with only three installed. D-59 is the second from the left).
Using tweezers and a low-wattage soldering iron (and magnifying glass, if necessary) remove D-59 by applying some heat to the single leg side of the device while lifting gently, then apply heat to the other two legs and removing the device. Be careful not to apply too much heat, not to rip or burn any traces or not to leave excess solder on the PCB. Replace the speaker bracket and top cover.
Apply power and reset the microprocessor.
TX = 1600 kHz - 54.00 MHz and 118.000 - 174.000 MHz
De James KG7FU
 Topic: ICOM IC-04 Out of Band Modification
ICOM IC-04 Out of Band Modification [message #3040] Wed, 11 June 2014 00:27
Out of Band Modification for the Icom IC-04

1. On the logic matrix, remove D402.
2. Add D402, D403 and D404 with the cathode at 4 o'clock and the anode at 12 o'clock. (You may use any signal diode such
as 1N914)
3. Add D405 with the cathode at 8 o'clock and the anode at 12 o'clock.
4. If you have a newer 04AT, the VCO cover will have holes in it that allow access to the tuning coils. If you have an older
04AT you will have to cut a hole in the VCO cover using a pair of small diagonals (be careful!).
5. Re-tune the VCO to cover your desired frequency spread. My 04AT goes from 441 to 473 MHz, which is pretty good.
6. Any frequency may be entered directly on the keypad (starting with the 10 MHz digit).
 Topic: Icom IC-706mkiig IF-SDR
Icom IC-706mkiig IF-SDR [message #3032] Mon, 10 March 2014 02:07
Next video will be a IC706 with TV dongle connected to the IF, it works very well.

Well here's part two for what it's worth.

It's quite easy to pick up the 69MHz intermediate frequency in an Icom 706 mk1. There are two plated holes in the track which carry the IF signal so just by inserting the inner of the coax into one of these it can be picked up by the dongle.

http://youtu.be/vY8xlmuX21s

The TV dongle accepts this signal and if it is then tuned to 69MHz you are then able to see the IF on the spectrum display and waterfall. The waterfall is not shown here . With the dongle I have here I am able 1.8MHz of spectrum but I can also zoom-in. There are lots of features in the software most impressive is the filtering.

Software used here is SDR#, another that works with the dongle is HDSDR.

So why would you do this? Well it adds a whole new dimension to an otherwise boring black box.

Try it and find out.

There is no reason, of course, why this set-up can not be applied to other rigs with an IF over 60MHz (dongle doesn't go lower).

Hope you find this of interest.

Sorry video's not up to much.

If you want more info ask me at the Club.

Next will be Powersdr-IF and CAT control of the IC706.

SDR-IF Part Three

I think that this set-up is the most likely to appeal to members.

Here I am using my IC 706 Mk1, the intermediate frequency of which is feed to a home-brewed SDR which I mostly use on Six and Four Meters, so it's ideal to receive the 69MHz IF from the 706.

The software in use here is Ham Radio Deluxe, PowerSDR-IF and Rocky.

HRD is used for the CAT control of the 706. PowerSDR-IF then connects to HRD.

http://youtu.be/0SI2rggbiFI

The waterfall display of Rocky is used to view CW, it is not connected to the 706 or the other software, using the sound card output only.

In the video I'm just tuning around the bands mostly using the mouse to click on the spectrum display/pan-adapter of PowerSDR-IF but also using both the slider and DX-spots of HRD. Of course it's also possible to use the 706 tuning knob but this seems a bit "old hat".

The pan-adapter reveals some pretty wide signals, some very clean ones, some with poor carrier suppression, sweepers, odd QRM sources and more. There is no CW filter in the 706 so the SDR output is the only way to receive CW properly.

Hope this is of interest.

If you want more info ask me at the club or post here.

I have been asked by a Club member for information on the 1st IF tap point that I used to feed the
RTL TV dongle from my IC706 Mk1.
The photos below should help.

"It's quite easy to pick up the 69MHz intermediate frequency in an Icom 706 mk1. There are two plated holes in the track which carry the IF signal so just by inserting the inner of the coax into one of these it can be picked up by the dongle."

http://www.hamradio.cc/images/forum/mods/icom_706_mkiig_if_sdr.jpg

Use the hole towards the front panel. BE CAREFUL AND TRY IT BEFORE SOLDERING.

http://www.hamradio.cc/images/forum/mods/icom_706_mkiig_if_sdr_.jpg

Daniel Fourlas - sv1jcz
 Topic: ICOM R7000 Display Issue / R7000 Sensitivity Problem
ICOM R7000 Display Issue / R7000 Sensitivity Problem [message #3004] Mon, 02 September 2013 13:29
If you are having trouble with you Icom R7000 display being flaky
and then a sudden decrease in sensitivity try the following:

PROBLEM: ICOM R7000 radios that are used 24 hours a day for a long time
(2 years ) when shut off the display will become flaky and it
is also possible for a lost in overall gain (3 to 40 db).

SOLUTIONS: Officially there is ICOM ECO SB# 9288-004, attached below.

Unofficially from Tech who repairs R7000
The ECO does help the display problem, but most likely
it is not the problem. *

* note repairing your own radio my void you warranty and only
allow a qualified technician to do the job, otherwise damage
could happen to your R7000. If the VCO does not track then a
major alignment would have to be done after. Check the
ICOM IC-R7000 Service Manual for more details before starting
this repair, and to make sure I have not made any typing errors
you should get a copy of the ECO from ICOM !

1st SOLUTION:
Replace on the DC to DC Board the following capacitor.
Check the noise with an oscilloscope on both sides of
R3, if the noise is not way down on one side then
replace C2 a 33uf 16V capacitor. Noise feedback
can decrease the overall sensitivity of the R7000.

Replace on the Display Board
C19 and C20 a 10 uf 16VDC capacitor

I found that on my R7000 C19 & C20 were the cause of my
display problems. They are 10 uf electrolytic capacitors
that are lemon yellow pc mounted units, when they go bad
the base of the yellow caps change to a brown color.

I put in the following ECO first but it did not help. If
you look at the service manual you will see that the ECO
values are on the schematic but my unit had the old values.
I suggest that you check the above first, it is a lot easier
to do, C19/C20 can be done in 10-15 min while the ECO will
take about a hour.

2nd SOLUTION: The ECO

ICOM America, INc
2380-116th Ave, N.E.
Bellevue, Washington 98004
206-454-7619

SERVICE BULLETIN

UNIT MODEL R7000
SB# 9288-004
EFFECTIVE DATE 4/1/88
SERIAL # AFFECTED: ALL
PRODUCT GROUP: Amateur

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
Display failure do to weak components

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
Improvement in DC to DC converter and display power supply.

PARTS AFFECTED BOARD TYPE CHANGE TO NEW PART NUMBER
Q1/Q2 2SC 1214 DC to DC Board 2SC 2655 906-00385
R1/R2 3.3 KOHM DC to DC Board 5.16 K 915-01173
C3/C4 PF DC to DC Board 0.001 MF 50V 918-01500
ceramic cap
Q11/Q12 Display Board 2SC2655 906-00385
R31/R32 3.3KOHM Display 5.16k Ohm 915-01173
C13/C16 Display 0.001 MF 918-01500

DETAIL PROCEDURE:

1. Remove top and bottom cover.
2. Remove front panel sub-assembly from main chassis of radio
3. Remove the DC to DC board and replace components as listed
4. Reinstall DC to DC board.
5. Replace front panel sub-assembly onto main chassis of radio
6. Replace top and bottom covers.

ESTIMATE TIME TO COMPLETE IS 1 hour

Topic: ICOM IC-R7000 Repair - Capacitors
ICOM IC-R7000 Repair - Capacitors [message #2999] Wed, 10 July 2013 11:01
** There is no retuning of the IC-R7000 radio required as the capacitors being changed are power supply related, or audio coupling/decoupling.

** Installation Time is approximately 4-6 hours from start to finish for an experienced technician. For all others, take you time and enjoy its a great project!

The kit is comprised of the following capacitors (118 in all):

.47uf 50V - Qty 14

.47uf 50V BP - Qty 2

1uf 50V - Qty 5

2.2uf 6.3V 7mm - Qty1

2.2uf 50V - Qty 1

3.3uf 50V - Qty 4

4.7uf 50V - Qty 5

4.7uf 25V 7mm - Qty 1

10uf 16V 7mm - Qty 3

10uf 16V - Qty 35

22uf 10V - Qty 5

22uf 25V - Qty 1

33uf 16V - Qty 3

47uf 16V - Qty 12

47uf 6.3/10V 7mm - Qty 2

100uf 16V - Qty 7

100uf 25V - Qty 4

220uf 10V - Qty 4

470uf 16V - Qty 7

4700uf 35V - Qty 2

[Updated on: Wed, 10 July 2013 11:02]

Topic: ICOM IC-R1 Keypad Problems
ICOM IC-R1 Keypad Problems [message #2998] Tue, 09 July 2013 00:24
If your keypad goes south on the IC-R1, open the unit,take out the 6 screws on the board with the speaker de-solder the speaker and both boards come out together.where the 8 solder joints join the daughter board to the backboard look at those joints under mag.what you will notice first is one set of#s 1479 etc. when you loose a contact between these boards you will loose a row of buttons.......use a small gun,,don't need to de-solder these just add more .....take care not to solder all legs together as this would be bad!!! also turn board over and do the other side...don't forget when your backing out to re-solder the speaker leads.......been there done that ....take your time don't be watching the kids close door and go for it......partspig
 Topic: IC-476 and PRO LCD backlight repair mod
IC-476 and PRO LCD backlight repair mod [message #1484] Thu, 06 September 2012 02:07
IC-746 Backlight Repair / IC-746PRO Backlight Repair

Here is how I mounted a TO-220 type transistor in place of the original backlight driver transistor, Q302. An ECG/NTE 378 in the TO-220 case style will substitute for the surface mount 2SB1201 that came with the IC-746.
You will need to unsolder and remove the shield, drill a hole in the case and mount the new transistor.

This provides a larger heatsink and a transistor with more thermal dissipation ability. You will need to isolate the transistor from the shield using the insulating kit that comes with the transistor. Be sure and use thermal heatsink silicone grease.

After mounting the transistor, solder the shield back into place.

You will need to run small jumper leads soldered to the NTE-378 and run over to the pads on the PC board where Q302 was lohoneyed. Looking down from the top where Q302 was lohoneyed, the lead configuration is Base Collector Emitter from left to right. The Base pad is close to the shield, and the Emitter pad connects to L301. Collector goes to the center pad.

index.php?t=getfile&id=59&private=0

E. Kirk Ellis, KI4RK

[Updated on: Thu, 06 September 2012 02:07]

Topic: IC-746 PRO Repair - Low TX Power on all Bands
IC-746 PRO Repair - Low TX Power on all Bands [message #1236] Tue, 17 January 2012 00:23
On Checking an IC-746PRO with low output power, it was found that the pre-predriver transistor tr Q1 (2SK2973)had overheated because of insufficient heatsinking (this has been covered many times before). The transistor was replaced only to find no improvement. Further investigation proved that the small choke L2 100uh had gone open circuit.

I replaced the choke and all has been well with 100w output on all bands. Check the standing current of this transistor as the specs per the w/manual is incorrect. The standing current of 500ma as per another published article has proved perfect.

The IC746-PRO is again functioning perfect - better than before!

Author: zS2ACP
 Topic: Icom R71 Synchronous detector
Icom R71 Synchronous detector [message #1083] Tue, 15 November 2011 01:44
Author: Dayle Edwards

The Icom R71 in all its flavours is one of the best performing receivers of all time, and its AM reception can be improved enormously with the inclusion of a synchronous detector. As it happens, this is very easy to do, as much of the necessary circuitry is already present, in the form of a balanced SSB detector and carrier insertion oscillators, used in the existing SSB modes.

Looking at the SD circuit, it comprises nothing more than a dual opamp. The Icom SSB product detector output, when close to zero beat with the wanted AM signal will contain the difference frequencies, either a audio heterodyne, or when locked, a DC voltage. The DC voltage is a function of any phase difference between the two inputs to the mixer, the carrier insertion oscillator, and the IF ouput. This voltage is heavily filtered to remove as much audio as possible , amplified by opamp A, and the resultant is fed to the varicap diode frequency shift of the 30.2 MHz master oscillator on the Icom PLL board, thereby correcting any phase error to the received signal. Any mistuning will result in a hetero-dyne from the mixer output, this is amplified by opamp B, rectified and switches the display "tune" segment via TR1/TR2. Diode D3 allows the Synch board to coexist with the FM option if fitted... this also uses the "TUNE" segment.. The "TUNE" display segment will activate within 20 cycles or so from the center frequency, giving a lock indihoneyion when correctly tuned.

The Synch detector will lock well on signals below the noise, and can exhibit a dramatic improvement on many marginal signals. With stronger signals, the audio quality can be very much improved, selective sideband fading or cancellation can be almost eliminated, and any noise is held to the level of the wanted signal. The Synch detector uses selectable sideband, simply by selecting either USB, or LSB, all installed filters able to be used with this design, as too the Pass Band Tuning and notch filter. It is important to note, the capture range of the design is limited to around 20 Hz, it is only required to lock the phase, not the frequency, so correct initial tuning is critical, the lock range being approximately 80 Hz. The limited bandwidth also allows normal SSB/CW modes to be used with no interaction from the synch detector which is permanently active. Normal AM remains selectable from the front panel.

The board will mount on the two pillars used when installing the FM option, or if this is already installed, it will piggy back above using longer screws and spacers. The unit is wired as follows.

REMOVE POWER FROM THE RADIO.

The signal input is got from R157, rear right of main circuit board.
The minus 10 volts is got from R197, rear center between the crystal and FM option connector.
The 8 volt plus is found at jumper W46, center on the circuit board opposite the regulator chip.
The tuning voltage will connect to R105 extreme right lead on the PLL board, rear right hand side.
The indihoneyor voltage connects to the RED wire in the two pin connector for the FM option The circuit boards need not be removed for these connections to be made, it is sufficient to carefully solder the wires to the exposed resistor leads. All added wires are at DC only, so no additional birdies, spurs or noises are created.

Initial setup:

Connect a voltmeter to IC1 pin 1, and with the radio tuned off a station at around 25MHz, slowly adjust VR1 to obtain a reading of near 3.5 volts. The unit is now ready for use. Tune in a weak AM station in SSB mode, slowly tune for a zero beat. At some point, the carrier will lock, the audio will become clear and natural sounding, and the "TUNE" segment should light. Unless the ICOM high stability VXO option is fitted, its likely each station will need to be manually tuned slightly up or down from the set frequency indihoneyed. Remember, the R71 tunes in 10 Hz steps, these are not recorded on the frequency display.

http://www.hamradio.cc/images/forum/mods/ICOM-R71_1.jpg

http://www.hamradio.cc/images/forum/mods/ICOM-ic-r71_synch.gif

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2011 01:45]

Topic: ICOM IC-751 Mod Unlock Transmitter
ICOM IC-751 Mod Unlock Transmitter [message #1043] Sat, 15 October 2011 17:15
ICOM IC-751 Mod

Locate the RF board on the side of the radio and cut the black wire going to pin 1 of jack 2. Your transmitter is now unlocked. (This mod also described in "73 Magazine", July 1985 p. 12.)
 Topic: ICOM IC-745 Mod Unlock Transmitter
ICOM IC-745 Mod Unlock Transmitter [message #1042] Sat, 15 October 2011 17:12
ICOM IC-745 Mod

Locate the RF board on the side of the radio and cut the light brown wire at jack 7., which is going to pin 1. Your transmitter is now unlocked.
 Topic: ICOM IC-720 Mod Transmitter Unlock
ICOM IC-720 Mod Transmitter Unlock [message #1041] Sat, 15 October 2011 17:11
ICOM IC-720 Mod

Transmitter is unlocked by snipping the light blue wire that's at the very end of the top hatch cover to the left middle side of the
transceiver.
 Topic: ICOM IC-735 Mod - Unlock Transmitter
ICOM IC-735 Mod - Unlock Transmitter [message #1040] Sat, 15 October 2011 17:10
ICOM IC-735 Transmitter Mod

To unlock the transmitter: cut diodes D33 and D34 that are standing on end near the microprocessor section toward the rear top of the radio.
 Topic: Icom IC-25 expanded RF (keyboard mod)
Icom IC-25 expanded RF (keyboard mod) [message #785] Wed, 17 August 2011 23:36
1. Set offset to 0.0

2. Select VFO (A).

3. Press and hold [SIMP/DUP] and [NOR/REV].

4. Dial in desired frequency.

5. Release [SIMP/DUP] button.

6. Select the other VFO (B).

7. Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5

if VFO (B) can not be set, transfer VFO (A) VFO (B) using the [WRITE] button as described on page 7, item 6, of the owners manual.

Note: [SIMP/DUP] must be out when the VFO is changed.

If the tuning knob is turned again, the radio will revert back within the normal band range.
 Topic: IC-R7000 Audio Modifications
IC-R7000 Audio Modifications [message #385] Thu, 26 May 2011 23:08
The following modifications provide the following facilities.

- base band audio output, to utilizing digital transmissions such as AIS etc.
- a CTCSS filter insertion point, to eliminate annoying hum from the speaker Both these mods are best tackled at the same time.

1. Undo the screws holding the IF unit in position. Disconnect interconnecting cables.

2. As as indicated by the circuit diagram & board layout the baseband signal is taken from the discriminator output via a 10K resistor. Solder the 10K resistor to R97 on the solder side of the board and solder the other side to the inner braid of some thin audio coax cable. Connect the other end to the spare connector on the rear panel. Use some 3mm heat-shrink tube to cover the 10K resistor & hold in position with some hot glue. Connect the earth braid to a convenient earthing point with some insulated wire.

3. Remove C86 & connect some thin stereo coaxial cable (red = filter input & yellow=filter output) to each now empty pad. Connect the earth braid to a convenient earthing point with some insulated wire. The coaxial cable should be long enough to reach where the filter is installed. In my case I put this at the bottom where the IR receiver & Speech unit can be mounted.

4. Re-install the IF unit by screwing it in position & restoring the interconnecting cables.

5. An essential requirement is that both the input & output of the filter are capacitively coupled. For the filter unit, I used a recovered a CTCSS board from a Motorola SYNTRX FM radio. It contains the essential HP filter required to filter out the CTCSS tones, but in addition it contains a LP filter, which I will use to feed a CTCSS detector/display ( for info purposes). I used a hacksaw to cut off only the circuitry that I wanted. Alternatively a filter could be home brewed.

6. A switch could be provided to to enable straight through audio should this be required.

http://www.hamradio.cc//images/forum/mods/IC-R7000_baseband_CTCSS_modifications-1.jpg
Illustration 1: IF Unit modifications

http://www.hamradio.cc//images/forum/mods/IC-R7000_baseband_CTCSS_modifications-2.jpg
Illustration 2: IF unit modification locations

http://www.hamradio.cc//images/forum/mods/IC-R7000_baseband_CTCSS_modifications-3.jpg
Illustration 3: Typical CTCSS filterboard
 Topic: Icom IC-9100 Mod - Partial TX
Icom IC-9100 Mod - Partial TX [message #340] Tue, 05 April 2011 00:21
There are several ranges that can be selected by arranging diodes. First you can choose to only open up some areas and leave other frequencies (non amateur bands) locked.

40m amateur bands expansion (7.00MHz - 7.300MHz) : remove diode D1517
60m band expansion (5.255MHz - 5.405MHz) : remove diode D1515

index.php?t=getfile&id=42&private=0

Assemble radio.

Reset radio (full reset) by holding [F-INP ENT] and [M-CLR] and turn power ON.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 April 2011 00:26]

Topic: Icom IC-9100 Mod - RX Expansion
Icom IC-9100 Mod - RX Expansion [message #339] Tue, 05 April 2011 00:13
RX-range: 30kHz - 60MHz, 180MHz - 174MHz, 420MHz - 480MHz, 1240MHz - 1320MHz

Locate diodes behind front panel.

Remove diodes D1504 and D1505 for full RX.

Assemble radio.

Reset radio (full reset) by holding [F-INP ENT] and [M-CLR] and turn power ON.

index.php?t=getfile&id=41&private=0

Topic: AM transmitter enable for the Icom IC-745
AM transmitter enable for the Icom IC-745 [message #310] Sun, 23 January 2011 01:23
Intro:

After returning home from purchasing a used (but in good condition) ICOM IC-745, initial check out revealed the transmitter did not function in AM transmit mode. A look and the owners manual revealed: "AM Receive Only" What!!!??? This is supposed to be an ALL MODE RADIO! In reality the words used were..."ALL BAND HF RADIO"

After analyzing this perplex situation I came to the conclusion ICOM must have been doing their part in trying to save precious spectral bandwidth by not incorporating AM transmit in this particular model.
No one really utilizes AM mode these days (including myself) but this radio has every mode ever conceived and to leave AM transmit out really aggravated me!

Below is the Mod of Mods for IC-745 owners:

(All Modifications administered to the "MAIN UNIT" board located under the top cover of the radio.) (Except for R21 Removal on the logic board for the Power Mod.)
Parts List:

8 pin diodes. Factory Diodes are P/N 1SS53. 1N914's are fine.
3 10k resistors 1/4 watt.
1 NPN TO-92 pkg. switching TX, 2N3904 or equivalent is fine.
Source Voltage Terminology and Locations:

R8 = 8 Volt Receive Mode Source
AM8 = 8 Volt AM Mode Source
FM8 = 8 Volt FM Mode Source
CW8 = 8 Volt CW Mode Source
RY8 = 8 Volt RTTY Mode Source
USB8 = 8 Volt USB Mode Source
LSB8 = 8 Volt LSB Mode Source
        "J7"      Pin #1 | O O O O O O O O O O | Pin #10 
     Main Board          |_____________________| 
                           | | | | | | | | | | 
                           --- --- | | --- --- 
                            A   R  U L  C   F 
                            M   Y  S S  W   M 
                            8   8  B B  8   8 
                                   8 8 

----------- 
        "J21"           Pin #1 | O O O O | Pin #4 
       Main Board              ----------- 
                                 | | | | 
                                 ------- 
                                   R8 

THE MOD

Pull up the anode end of Diode D44. (located by TX Q39) Build the additional circuit below. This will enable the B+ to the product detector and 9 Mhz BFO oscillator.
The 9Mhz osc will now be working for AM transmit as well as BFO Rec.

C 
                        o to AM8  (Where the Anode of D44 was) 
                         \\ 
                          \\| B       10K      1N914 
                           |------\\/\\/\\/\\/-----|<-----o to R8 
                          /| 
      to R239 o----|<----/    2N3904 or Equivalent 
                  D44    E 

Remove R66. (Located by TX Q13) Relocate and solder one end of R66 to the bottom of the board. (The end that goes to R23 and R30)

(The schematic shows a "BREAK" in the land. By removing the resistor from the PC board this simulates the break.)

Solder two 1N914's to the other end of R66. (Cathode ends of course)

Note: All pin assemblies will be connected on the underside of the Main Unit PC board.

This is part of the Mode selection process, and turns off the mike shunt in AM mode. (So audio can pass to the Balanced Modulator.)
      to R23 & R30   o-----\\/\\/\\/--:----|<----o   Anode to CW8 
                                   | 
                            R66    :----|<----o   Anode to RY8 
                            10K     pair 1N914's (add) 

Solder one 1N914 diode (Cathode end) to the cathode connection of D15 (by TX Q19) under the board. Connect the anode to AM8.
This will enable the B+ to the Mic Amp stages and VOX ckts.
              to R31 (10K) 
               ^ 
               | 
               | 
              ___ 
             break 
              ___ 
               |           D15 
               |------------|<----------------o Goes to 8 Volt LSB  
      Source 
               |------------|<----------------o Connect to AM8  
      Source 
               | 
               |           1N914 (add) 

to R100 (100 Ohms) 

Remove R31 (Located by TX Q8) Relocate and solder one end of R31 to the bottom of the board. (The end that goes to R30 and the base of Q8)

(The schematic shows a "BREAK" in the land. By removing the resistor from the PC board this simulates the break.)

Solder Three 1N914's to the other end of R31. (Cathode ends) Tie the Anode ends to LSB8, USB8, FM8. Function: This portion of the mod will turn Q8 off in the AM mode to unbalance the balanced Modulator (IC1) for AM full carrier operation.
                       C 
                        o                      3 1N914's (add) 
                         \\ 
                (Q8)      \\| B         R31     |--|<-----o to  LSB8 
              Bal/^Bal     |---------\\/\\/\\/\\/--|--|<-----o to  USB8 
              switch      /|  |   |            |--|<-----o to  FM8 
                for      /    |   | 
                IC1     o     \\   \\ 
                      E       /   / 
                          R29 \\   \\ R30 
                              /   / 
                              |   |     R's=10K's 
                             ___  | 
                              _   o 

Remove R24 (Located by TX Q7, "Mike Shunt Ckt") Solder a 1N914 Diode (Cathode end) into one of the pc holes that R24 came out of. (The one end that connects to R65 by Xtal X1.) Tie the anode to AM8.
This will enable the 9 Mhz CW xtal to generate the correct center frequency for AM.
          -- 
       o-||||--->|-o 
          --  | 
          X1  \\ 
              / 
          R64 \\                         1N914 (add) 
          10K /       R65 
              |-----\\/\\/\\/\\--------------|<------o AM8 
             ___      220     | 
         C44 ___              ---|<---o to CW8 
         47pf | 
             ---                D13 
              - 

AM Power Level Adjust (optional)Due to the duty cycle requirements of AM, output power of 40/50 Watts RMS should be the limit. Use the Front panel RF adj to reduce the output from 100 Watts or do the following:

Connect a small 22 gauge (or so) wire from AM8 to the anode of Diode D26 by TX Q20. Add a series 10K resistor.
                AM8 o------\\/\\/\\/\\---------- o-->|-----o to Q20 
                             10K             |  D26 
               |________________________|    o 
                        Add this             o S1 
                                             | 

Set the 50/100 Watt power switch (S1) in the 100 Watt Position if you desire 100 watt operation of SSB,CW,RTTY.

Adjust R116 (in AM xmit mode) for a power output of 40 Watts RMS.

What were doing here is using the 50 Watt low power ckt as the AM power adjustment control.
Paralleling another connection to FM8 will allow FM to be reduced in similar fashion (as well as AM) instead of the factory 100% duty cycle.
                FM8 o---->|-------/\\/\\/\\/----o 
                        1N914    |  10K      | 
                AM8 o---->|-------           o-->|-----o to Q20 
                        1N914                |  D26 
                                             o 
                                             o S1 
                                             | 

Note: When 10 Meters is selected port 28M (pin 47, IC3 on the logic unit) goes high, this turns on pin diode D27 on the main unit. This ultimately turns on the 50 watt (low Power) ckt allowing only low power operation from 28-30 Mhz?
I don't know why Icom did this? My guess is for 10 Meter FM overlooking the fact SSB/CW will be running reduced also. You may want to remove R21 (10K) on the logic board to remedy this situation. After R21 is removed you can limit the duty cycle on AM & FM as follows:
          FM8 o----\\/\\/\\/\\----->|---- 
                     10K   |   D27   | 
                           |         | 
          AM8 o----\\/\\/\\/\\----->|-------o to Q20 
                     10K   |   D26 
                           | 
                           o 
                           o  S1 
                           | 

Low power Adjustment R116 will now adjust output power for FM as well as AM.

Operation/conclusion:

The above AM/FM power mod is recommended. Higher power levels (Greater then 70/80 Watts RMS) result in severe distortion of the AM output signal.

Surprisingly the audio quality is quite good on AM xmit. (40/50 Watts) Several on the air discerning ears concluded the fidelity was quite acceptable. (Even from the Johnson Viking Guys on 3.880 (+-)).

For you skeptics wondering how an AM signal can sound acceptable through a 3Khz wide 455Khz SSB filter....................???

A quick turn to the schematic on the IF board depicts filter F-I1. (Ceramic filter CFW-455IT) This filter is a 6Khz wide ceramic filter used for AM receive mode. After the completion of the Mod this filter will be used for AM xmit also, by default! >>> It's in there!!

(Wasn't that a commercial once?)

Filter F-I2 (ceramic Filter CFT-455K14) or the optional FL-44A (SSB filter) is in operation for all other modes except FM. The optional FM board employs it's own filter arrangement.

That's it. Your all mode radio is now all mode!

73 Paul N2FAN

*05/2000

I have scanned the Main Board and Logic Board to depict the electrical changes made to the circuits. I tried to nicely re-label all the changes using VISIO technical, but I ran into some offset problems.

The hand written changes will have to do for now until I can get Visio to work right. If you have any questions about this Mod feel free to ask via e-mail only (I'm hard to get a hold of) e-mail = n2fan@glensummit.com

This is not an easy cut the wire mod, you will need to have some good electronic technician skills. PhD's forget it! ...............

This Mod works, I still have my IC-745 after 8 years!

73 and Good Luck!
 Topic: ICOM IC-756 Expand Transmit Frequency Mod
ICOM IC-756 Expand Transmit Frequency Mod [message #307] Sun, 16 January 2011 23:58
Notice: ICOM does not guarantee this to expand the frequency.

How to change full coverage transmit:
Remove the W805 jumper chip on MAIN board with a soldering iron.
Locate the jumper matrix located near the IC803.

What to do:
Remove bottom cover of ICOM IC-756. On the MAIN board you will see IF filters and a daughter board (DSP filter) on the right side. The W805 jumper and IC803 chip is lohoneyed under the DSP board. You have to remove the DSP board (carefully) and look for the part labeled IC803 and the line of jumpers (little green parts). When done, unsolder the W805 jumper. Install the DSP board and put the bottom cover back.
                     ---------------
         [W801]     |               |
         [W802]     |               |
         [W803]     |    IC 803     |
         [W804]     |               |
REMOVE==>[W805]     |     CHIP      |
         [W806]     |               |
         [W807]      ---------------
         [W808]

This info is from the ICOM SERVICE INFORMATION sheet.
http://www.hamradio.cc/images/forum/mods/ICOM-ic-756tx-mod.jpg

[Updated on: Mon, 17 January 2011 00:02]

Topic: Icom IC-77 Mars Mod - tx expansion
Icom IC-77 Mars Mod - tx expansion [message #306] Wed, 12 January 2011 04:03
For Ham Mod remove the lower RIGHT diode (d14) from the pcb behind the lock button. it looks like this:

[d12] [d13]
[d11] [d14]

For TX expansion you have to leave (d11) intact and take the diode (d14) that you removed and install it at (d13).

http://www.hamradio.cc/images/forum/mods/icom_ic-77_Ham-TX-exp-1.jpg

If the diodes are all gone and no original diodes can be obtained normal 1N4007 diodes or similar can be used.

http://www.hamradio.cc/images/forum/mods/icom_ic-77_Ham-TX-exp-2.jpg

http://www.hamradio.cc/images/forum/mods/icom_ic-77_Ham-TX-exp-3.jpg

Author: V51JP

[Updated on: Wed, 12 January 2011 04:06]

Topic: Icom IC-A20 Mod Extend Frequency
Icom IC-A20 Mod Extend Frequency [message #305] Tue, 11 January 2011 01:20
To extend frequency range (high end)from 135.975 to 136.975 MHz on the Icom IC-A20, proceed as follows:

1. Remove 4 screws holding back panel,
2. Remove 4 screws holding battery clip,
3. Remove battery clip and separate front and rear halves of radio
4. Remove 4 screws holding VOR unit mounted on the front panel so as to reveal Logic Unit.
5. Looking at the component side of the Logic Unit(opposite side to buttons and display), locate D711,
6. Directly above D711 You will see 3 empty pads in a triangle (SO-23 outline, this is where You need to fit a diode. The original diode used is 1SS187, but any SMD diode will do, or even a standard small wire ended diode. Solder anode to UPPER pad, and cathode to LOWER LEFT pad.
7. Reassemble the radio and reset CPU by holding Function and Clear buttons while powering up the radio.
8. Test the extended frequency range to see if mod was successful (mine was)118.000 to 136.975 MHz.

Den
 Topic: ICOM IC-V8000 Power Mod - Transistor Replacement
ICOM IC-V8000 Power Mod - Transistor Replacement [message #218] Sat, 26 December 2009 09:27
After the power transistor 2SC1971 blow up Adnan Al-ZADJALI replaced it with another 2SK3075. This transistor was more available and easier to get, and at the same time it also added a little more power, from 68 to 71 watt.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 December 2009 09:30]

Topic: Icom IC2200H FM Discriminator Lohoneyion
Icom IC2200H FM Discriminator Lohoneyion [message #187] Wed, 19 November 2008 22:43
fungkh  is currently offline fungkh

Hello all, someone could help me the lohoneyion of Icom IC2200H FM discriminator/SQL location on board? Thank you

[Updated on: Tue, 30 December 2008 23:41]

Topic: IC-7200 Band Voltage Modification
IC-7200 Band Voltage Modification [message #179] Fri, 29 August 2008 21:40
IC-7200 Band Voltage Modification
If you want to connect an external unit which can be controlled by the band voltatge from [ACC] connector, the modifihoneyion is necessary as in pdf attached.
The band voltage appears from pin 5 of [ACC] connector after modifihoneyion (1) is completed, or the regulated 8 V appears from pin 1 of [ACC] connector after modifihoneyion (2) is completed.

Performing this mod is the customer's responsibility. Icom does not guarantee this modifihoneyion's result.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 August 2008 21:46]

Pages (6): [ «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »]

Current Time: Sat Feb 28 10:51:39 EST 2015

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09286 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.