Today's Messages (OFF)  | Unanswered Messages (ON)

Forum: Radio Mods
 Topic: Uniden BD996 Discriminator tap
Uniden BD996 Discriminator tap [message #161] Sun, 03 February 2008 13:03
root  is currently offline root

Uniden BD996 Discriminator tap

OK, I dug around a little and it appears our friends at Uniden made it real easy!

Take off the outer case shell, and then the top inner case. Just about dead center on the board look for the solder pad labeled "DISC". Run a single insulated wire to this point to a jack of your choice (I prefer RCA jacks) mounted on the rear of the radio. I also like to use a tantalum capacitor in line with the jack as well.

If you take the bottom inner cover off the radio you will see the best place to install the jack appears to be the area of the bar code/serial number label. This is kind of thick double walled metal so be careful drilling. You could also just run an audio cable into the radio through the threaded rear hole or even one of the holes on either side of the radio's rear.

Ray Colvill

[Updated on: Sun, 03 February 2008 13:05]

Topic: Expand Frequency Coverage on TX/RX for the Icom IC-W32A/E
Expand Frequency Coverage on TX/RX for the Icom IC-W32A/E [message #158] Sun, 20 January 2008 14:24

Icom IC-W32A Mod

Expand Frequency Coverage on TX/RX for the Icom IC-W32A/E

NOTICE: We can not guarantee specifications beyond the amateur bands. Not responsible for any damages incurred in attempting this procedure. This modification may void all warranties.

1. Remove the battery.

2. Remove the 4 screws holding the rear cover and the 2 lower screws holding the shield in place in the battery compartment. 3. Carefully lift the rear cover with the battery comparment shield away from the front cover.

4. The front and rear sections are connected together with a flex strip connector. Carefully lay the rear section aside by lifting upward, turning and laying the rear section over away from the front cover leaving the flex strip connected.

5. With the front cover section in front of you, antenna connector to your left, locate the notch at the right side of the exposed PC board. Next locate the three, 3 terminal diodes near the lower corner of the notch. Two are in line from left to right, with the third below the diode to the right. This last diode (the one below the right one) is diode D523. Very carefully remove D523.

6. Reassemble the radio in reverse order.

7. Perform a system reset by holding down the Squelch button (on the side) and the Band button while turning the radio on. Note that all memories will be erased, so write down anything you want to save and reprogram.

VHF coverage will be from 140 to 170 (plus or minus a bit) on Tx/RX
UHF coverage will be from 430 to 470 (plus or minus a bit) on TX/RX
 Topic: IC-290 Mod - Enhance SSB audio quality
IC-290 Mod - Enhance SSB audio quality [message #157] Sat, 19 January 2008 20:00
IC-290 Mod - Enhance SSB audio quality

French language below

On strong signals (59+) the SSB demodulated audio is affected by distortion. On weak signals, the noise coming from the SSB demodulator can be improved for a better S/N ratio.

To modify your IC290, you need the schematic diagram and layout plan of the device.

• Remove the bottom cover (speaker side) to gain access to the main PCB.

• Remove all connectors carefully (use a screw driver as lever). This PCB is sensitive to ESD.

• Close to IC3, change capacitor C55 from 1 nF to 10nF to move the low pass cut-off to 5kHz. Use a good ceramic capacitor (X7R 1206 SMD, or a small MKT like Wima).

• Change capacitor C53 from 0.047-??F to 22nF to limit audio low frequency to 200 Hz.

• Replace the capacitor C87 1-??F by 0.47-??F tantalum or MKT. This capacitor acts only in transmitting low frequency if your voice is too deep. But, take care of the quality of this capacitor. Don't use a bad quality ceramic capacitor.

Modify the region of Q29 close to IC11. The audio is fed to Q29 as audio amplifier.

• In parallel to R187 (collector load), add a 10nF X7R SMD capacitor. This will add a final low pass cut-off frequency at 4.5kHz to remove all high frequency noise from audio.

• Cut the emitter track of Q29 to add a 150 Ohms resistor in series with the (C157 R188) couple. This will add an emitter feedback to reduce distortion in SSB and FM. Note : collector voltage of Q29 is near 5 V.

• Change capacitor C157 from 4.7-??F to 22-??F 6V minimum, a tantalum capacitor will be better. This will improve low frequency and audio will be smooth and less aggressive (not like Asian sound!).

• You could improve power supply rejection by changing C155 from 10-??F to 47-??F/10V.

I did those modifications to improve the quality of my transceiver used in short-wave band with a transverter. The sound quality is less aggressive.

Testing your transceiver:

To compare improvements, I checked the full frequency response of the receiver:

• Connect a noise source to the receiver antenna socket, or your antenna pointed to sun (to get a wide band noise).

• Connect the sound card of your PC to R153 via 10-??F capacitor.

• Load up a DSP software SPECTRAN that makes FFT on audio signal, average the display with a factor close to 16. You will see the audio response of your transceiver. (SPECTRAN: http://www.qsl.net/padan/spectran.html)

Transceiver frequency response before modification:
too much emphasis on high frequencies and low frequency attenuation.

Transceiver frequency response after modification:
better frequency balance and broader bandpass.

Have good QSOs !

73's from F5RCT

Augmentez la qualit+?? audio en SSB de votre IC-290

En forts signaux (59+), la d+??modulation en SSB est affect+??e par de la distorsion. En signaux faibles, le bruit provenant du d+??modulateur peut +??tre am+??lior+?? pour augmenter le rapport signal sur bruit.

Pour modifier votre IC-290 vous avez besoin du sch+??ma et du plan d'implantation de l'appareil.

• D+??poser le couvercle du fond (cot+?? haut-parleur) pour acc+??der au circuit imprim+?? principal (MAIN PCB).

• D+??brancher d+??licatement les connecteurs (sans tirer sur les fils), en se servant d'un tournevis pour faire levier. Le circuit est sensible aux d+??charges +??lectrostatiques.

• Pr+??s de iC3, remplacer le condensateur C55 de 1nF +?? 10nF pour d+??placer la fr+??quence de coupure +?? 5 kHz. Utiliser un bon condensateur c+??ramique (type X7R 1206 CMS, ou un petit MKT type "Wima").

• Remplacer le condensateur C53 de 0.047-??F +?? 22nF pour limiter le fr+??quences basses +?? 200 Hz.

• Remplacer le condensateur C87 de 1-??F +?? 0.47-??F tantale, MKT ou +??lectrolytique aluminium. Ce condensateur agit en +??mission sur la clart+?? de la voix et les fr+??quences basse du domaine audio (int+??ressant pour les OM qui ont une voix tr+??s grave). Mais attention +?? la qualit+?? de ce condensateur car l'imp+??dance s+??rie doit rester faible, ne pas mettre de capacit+?? c+??ramique miniature.

Modifier la r+??gion de Q29 pr+??s de iC11. Le signal audio passe par Q29 en tant qu'amplificateur audio.

• En parall+??le +?? R187 (charge collecteur), ajouter condensateur 10nF type X7R 1206 CMS, ou un petit MKT type "Wima". Ceci ajoute un filtre passe bas +?? 4.5 kHz pour att+??nuer toutes des hautes fr+??quences du spectre audio, y compris en mode FM.

• Couper la piste tout pr+??s de l'+??metteur de Q29 pour ajouter une r+??sistance de 150 Ohms en s+??rie avec le couple (C157//R188). Cette r+??sistance ajoutera une contre r+??action d'+??metteur pour r+??duire la distorsion en SSB et en FM. Note : la tension du collecteur de Q29 est proche de 5V.

• Remplacer le condensateur C157 de 4.7-??F +?? 22-??F (6V min), un tantale c'est parfait ! Cela am+??liore les basses fr+??quences et l'audio est plus doux (et moins agressif comme le son asiatique !).

• On peut augmenter la r+??jection d'alimentation en rempla+??ant C155 de 10-??F +?? 47-??F/10V. J'avais fait ces modifications pour augmenter la qualit+?? de mon transceiver que j'utilise en ondes -courtes avec un transverter. La qualit+?? est beaucoup moins agressive.

Testez votre transceiver:

Pour comparer les am+??lioration, j'ai v+??rifi+?? la r+??ponse compl+??te en fr+??quence du r+??cepteur:

• Connecter une source de bruit +?? l'entr+??e du r+??cepteur, ou votre antenne (avec pr+??ampli) point+??e vers le soleil pour avoir une source de bruit large bande.

• Connecter la carte son de votre PC sur la sortie haut-parleur (jack-externe)

• Charger un logiciel de traitement num+??rique pour faire une FFT du signal audio. J'ai utilis+?? Spectran avec un facteur average de 16. http://www.qsl.net/padan/spectran.html

R+??ponse en fr+??quence de mon IC290 avant modification:
accentuation des aigu+??s et att+??nuation des graves.

R+??ponse en fr+??quence de mon IC290 apr+??s modification:
meilleur +??quilibre des fr+??quences et bande passante +??largie.

Bons QSOs !

73's de F5RCT

Topic: Ham 900 Band Filters on ebay
Ham 900 Band Filters on ebay [message #154] Mon, 31 December 2007 10:31
DBMdbm
FYI Maxtrac 900 ham band filters for sale on ebay Item number: 180201771850
 Topic: YAESU FT767GX from 1.5Mhz to 29.99999MHz Mod
YAESU FT767GX from 1.5Mhz to 29.99999MHz Mod [message #152] Wed, 19 December 2007 20:40
YAESU FT767GX from 1.5Mhz to 29.99999MHz Mod

I have recently purchased the aforementioned transceiver. I have had no problems to speak of and enjoy the rig thoroughly. I would like to submit the following mod for the rig. Note that implementation on this mod is at the rig owner's risk and may violate warranties. Here is a description of the mod:

o Remove the bottom cover (8 screws: 4 underneath, 2 on each side)
o Remove the plastic rear panel. (Just a cosmetic piece)
o Remove the rear metal panel. (So many screws)
o Loosen the "hinge" screws on the front bottom. There are 4 of them.
o Lift the now loose card tray to expose to inner circuit boards. Be careful! There are two power supply lines that need to be disconnected.(Remember to reconnect them on assembly.) (one is the control board, the other the one we want.) Note that the board we will mod is the same one that has the switch that allows changing the tuning dial from 5kHz/rev to 10kHz/rev. o Change the position of switch S01. The rig will now transmit from 1.5 to 29.99999 MHz.
o Reverse the disassembly procedure.

Well that's it. You are now ready for any band addition that may come our way. If you have problems, reply; I'll try to answer your questions.
73s de KA1TIH : Kendell_Chilton@dgc.mceo.dg.com (Ken Chilton)

[Updated on: Wed, 19 December 2007 20:40]

Topic: TM-941A Mod - Open Transmit Mod
TM-941A Mod - Open Transmit Mod [message #150] Sun, 02 December 2007 14:00
TM-941A Open Transmit Mod

The following mod will allow the TM-941A to transmit from 142.000 to 151.995 mhz, 420 to 450 mhz and 1100 to 1400 mhz.

1. Disconnect power supply and antenna

2. Remove the detachable front panel assembly

3. Locate a green jumper wire on the control board, in the body of the transceiver. The wire is located towards the left edge of the board

4. Cut the green wire loop in half and insulate

5. Install front panel assembly, and connect power and antenna

This mod works, but is done at your own risk

Author: ZS5

J
 Topic: Preamp mod for Yaesu FT-890AT
Preamp mod for Yaesu FT-890AT [message #149] Mon, 26 November 2007 21:57
Try this Preamp mod for the Yaesu FT-890AT...

Yesterday we made a similar modification, as I mentioned with my FT-990.

My friend (HA5AUC) have an FT-890. We changed the parallel-connected gg 2SK125's in the preamplifier stage to J310's. (Q2008 and Q2006) (Be care with the different pin-out!).

Results: bit less noises, bit more gain.

HA5BWW
 Topic: BC95XLT BC-92XLT BC-72XLT Pro-83 Pro-84 Frequency Counter
BC95XLT BC-92XLT BC-72XLT Pro-83 Pro-84 Frequency Counter [message #146] Sat, 17 November 2007 13:47
The Uniden BC-95XLT Can Be Used As A Frequency Counter. To enter this mode Press "HOLD,3 and 0" while turning the Power On. You then can change the group of frequencies you wish to check. To do this use the Up and Down Arrow Keys. The Scanner will display the strongest frequency transmitted. Example: To check a Citizens Band Radio frequency, select The Lo group. If you Transmit on Channel 20 the scanner will display 27.205 MHz. You can check with a Ham Radio, Marine, GMRS, etc. It will display the frequency used. This Will also work on Uniden BC-92XLT & BC-72XLT. Should work with Radio Shack PRO-83 & PRO-84.
 Topic: ic 7000 Mars Mod (UK Model) Needed
ic 7000 Mars Mod (UK Model) Needed [message #142] Tue, 25 September 2007 07:32
2e0mcg  is currently offline 2e0mcg

hi im after the mars/cap mod for the icom ic 7000 (uk model) all i can find is us mod,no definative instructions stating the uk mod,any help would be appreciated,regards john. allojohny@yahoo.co.uk

[Updated on: Sat, 26 December 2009 09:40] by Moderator

Topic: Alternate fan mod for IC-7000
Alternate fan mod for IC-7000 [message #141] Tue, 28 August 2007 02:09
!! IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT PERFORMING THIS MOD DON'T!!

!!IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR RADIO YOU ONLY HAVE YOURSELF TO BLAME!!

I have performed this mod on MY OWN radio without any adverse affects and my LDG AT-7000 atu still works as it should.

Before this mod after been turned on for an hour or so the temp meter on the radio would show around 50% on the scale (7 or 8 bars), after the mod the temp meter shows around 25% on the scale (4 bars).

First remove the top cover and remove the fan from the radio,

take a 100ohm resistor and solder a length of wire to each end and cover with heat shrink tubing. Cut the red wire to the fan and attach one of the resistor wires between the two halves and cover with heat shrink tubing.

Next follow the ORANGE wire from the ATU molex socket on the back of the radio to where it is soldered on to the DDS unit (top right hand corner at the back of the radio) and attach the remaining resistor wire to this point, position the resistor and wires so that they look neat and tidy and then refit the fan and the top cover, mod is now complete.

M3SVO
 Topic: Monitor AM on the Yaesu FT-8800
Monitor AM on the Yaesu FT-8800 [message #140] Sat, 18 August 2007 23:45
Monitor AM on the Yaesu FT-8800

How to monitor AM outside the default Aircraft band:

Depress the set button once and rotate the left selector knob to menu item 46, it will say AM.

Select the frequency you wish to operate by VFO. You are now on AM. If you turn VFO one click to left or right, radio will revert back to FM.

You can program this into a memory channel and it will stay in the AM mode.

Author: KC9BZX
 Topic: Yaesu FT7200 Mod - Call Tone 1750 Hz volume increase
Yaesu FT7200 Mod - Call Tone 1750 Hz volume increase [message #139] Sun, 05 August 2007 00:14
I'm a long time user of the Yaesu FT-7200. This transceiver came with a very low level 1750 Hz repeater tone.
Nearly no repeater could be opened easily, at least you hda to press the call button a very long time.

If you compare the volume/deviation of different transceivers you will 'hear' what I'm talking about.

I know that nowadays the repeaters should use a lower deviation, but this can be adjusted with a summing resistor R1058 on the main unit. See the picture attached.

Please be aware that this modifihoneyion also influences the level of the CTCSS sub-tones.Check the circuit diagram for details.

The recommendation to REPLACE R1058 I did not like, It might damage the PCB as the components are glued to the board. It's much easier to switch 68 kOhms in parallel, changing the value allows an adjustment of the deviation. (68k//68k=34k) Comparing the volume (and spectrum on a spectrum analyzer) I found out that 68 kOhms work fine.
Use a very small wired resistor or a SMD version and be sure that not short circuit occur.

Please proceed at your own risk.

Good luck! Wolfgang DH3WO

[Updated on: Sun, 05 August 2007 00:15]

Topic: Add 30-meter Transmit to Kenwood TS-180S Transceiver Mod
Add 30-meter Transmit to Kenwood TS-180S Transceiver Mod [message #138] Sat, 21 July 2007 00:40
The WARC band kit for the TS-180S is a pretty rare item these days, but I figured it should be easy to add 30m CW transmit capability to the non-WARC stock rig, as it already receives the 10 MHz band using the normal receiver stages.

The 10 MHz band is marked JJY/WWV on the band switch. The schematics revealed that the 30-meter part of the WARC band option adds an additional low-pass filter to the LPF board, and a band pass "AUX 3" filter to the Coilpack board.

I found you could substitute a 10.7 MHz FM transistor radio IF transformer (I used a Mouser 42IF122 for the bandpass filter. For the low-pass filter I added two wire jumpers on the two rear-most sections of the bandswitch (at the LPF board) so that the 7 MHz and 10 MHz lugs were connected together. This puts the 7 MHz low-pass filter section is also in-line for the 10 MHz band.

The only tune-up necessary was to set the rig to 10.120 MHz or so and peak the new IF transformer.

I achieved about 60 watts output and confirmed the signal was clean by feeding a sample of the output into my spectrum analyzer. The spurious outputs were down below the original specs of the rig, so I called it "good" and made some contacts on 30-meter CW.

Steve Johnston WD8DAS
July 2007
 Topic: Programming Cable for Icom IC-F12
Programming Cable for Icom IC-F12 [message #136] Sat, 02 June 2007 01:36

Programming Cable for Icom IC-F12

Simple handle programmer for radio transceiver ICOM ICF12, mounted with one plug P2 stereo and a female connector DB25 where bolt 15 of the female DB25 will be for data, bolt 1 land. It will have to be made to jumper between bolts 4 and 11 of the female DB25, this female connector DB25 will go on in any interface on type RIB to a PC. Detail of plug P2 stereo that will go to the radio:

bolt 1 nc
bolt 2 data from bolt 15 female DB25
bolt 3 gnd from bolt 1 female DB25

[Updated on: Sat, 02 June 2007 01:38]

Topic: IC-P7A MARS Mods
IC-P7A MARS Mods [message #135] Wed, 30 May 2007 21:16
IC-P7A MARS Mods

The following mod works exactly as described for the Icom IC-P7A (see mod for the IC-E7)

NOTE: The sticker is a very small (1cm) one and in the P7 the pads are shorted with a SMT diode. With a steady hand, a jewlers loupe, and some really small tweezers, you can pluck the diodes off lohoneyions 3 and 4 (as noted below.) As per EB4EQA:

TX bands configuration via 4 solder pads in the PCB, behind a square sticker lohoneyed under the battery, on the top-left corner.

I've number the pads as seen while looking to the back of the transceiver, with no battery and the PTT looking to your right.

1234    VHF_TX     UHF_TX
OOOO 136-174 400-479
OOOS 136-174 430-440
OOSS 144-146 430-440 (factory)

O = Open
S = Short

Procceed at your own risk.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 May 2007 21:17]

Topic: Open Icom IC-M800 or IC-M810 to ham Frequency
Open Icom IC-M800 or IC-M810 to ham Frequency [message #129] Mon, 07 May 2007 20:01
Open Icom IC-M800 or IC-M810 to ham Frequency

This modification allow the IC-M800 or IC-M810 marine band transceiver to be used in ham bands.

To make this mod you must remove power, disconnect the antenna and remove protective top and bottom cover to gain access to the RF UNIT which is on the lift side of the radio.

This mod require your cut D25 and D26 on this board. Also you must cut wire W1 on the logic unit board.

Topic: ICOM IC-2820 Extended band, cross-band procedure
ICOM IC-2820 Extended band, cross-band procedure [message #128] Sun, 06 May 2007 13:07
I have tested on my IC2820 the diodes guide for extended bands. Please, open the down side and look at the two rows of diodes on the right side, placed vertically (foto 1).

From up to down (foto 2):

First diode is not present
	Remove second diode:	144-150 Mhz		430-450 Mhz    auto-repeater USA
+	Remove fourth diode:	144-148 Mhz		430-450 Mhz
+	Remove fifth diode:	144-148 Mhz		400-470 Mhz
+	Remove sixth diode:	137-174 Mhz		400-470 Mhz
+	Seventh diode apparently it doesn't change anything ……
	Applying the eighth:	cross-band is activated 
To activate cross-band procedure, press and hold two main band knobs and press ; the radio will beep and the key symbol on the left side of the display will flash; now the radio is now active in the cross-band mode.

To cancel the cross-band repeat function, please press .

Good test, Luca IK0YYY, Rome, Italy.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 May 2007 13:11]

Topic: IC-7000 Alternate method to enable TV mode
IC-7000 Alternate method to enable TV mode [message #106] Tue, 30 January 2007 23:58
The IC-7000 has an additional set of solder pads next to TV diode D2154.

The solder pads are in the shape of half circles connected by a thin printed trace. The thin pc trace can be easily cut with an exacto type knife.

If present this method eliminates unsoldering the small surface mount diode, furthermore, the TV function can be easily disabled by bridging the half circles with solder.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 January 2007 23:58]

Topic: Icom IC-7000 TVRO & MARS Mods by Steve, N5AC (US version)
Icom IC-7000 TVRO & MARS Mods by Steve, N5AC (US version) [message #93] Mon, 25 December 2006 03:23
Thanks to Steve, N5AC for his research and success in determining the mods below!

Disclaimer: No liability is assumed for the accuracy of this material or the consequences of its use. Use of this information is intended to be eduhoneyional and is at your own risk. Modifihoneyions to your radio may void its warrantee and may be illegal in your country. It is your responsibility to check and follow the laws of your country in regards to this information. In NO case should the TV function of this unit be watched by the driver while a vehicle is in motion. The pictures below are from the USA #5 version of the IC-7000. See additional notes after the modifihoneyion information.
TVRO:
1. Remove CPU/DSP unit by unscrewing three silver screws holding it down (the silver box on the top of the radio with copper taped sides) and pull up.

2. Lohoneye four shift registers and bank of diodes - shift registers are 4094's. There are two next to each other and then a couple more. We'll call the two stacked the "left" ones

3. The "middle" shift register if looking from the front of the radio is the target.

4. Lohoneye bank of SMT diodes (silver with "K" on top on one side) in front of the target shift register. They are in two columns, "left" and "right"

5. Unsolder one side of the second diode from the front on the right and lift up one side (or remove, slip to the side, whatever turns you on)

MARS:

OK - here's an out-of-band mod that does TX from 0-54, 118-173, 400-470.

1. Remove CPU/DSP unit by unscrewing three silver screws holding it down (the silver box on the top of the radio with copper taped sides) and pull up.

2. Lohoneye four shift registers and bank of diodes - shift registers are 4094's. There are two next to each other and then a couple more. We'll call the two stacked the "left" ones.

3. The "left" shift register if looking from the front of the radio is the target.

4. Lohoneye bank of SMT diodes (silver with "K" on top on one side) in front of the target shift register. They are in two columns, "left" and "right".

5. Unsolder one side of the second diode from the front on the left and lift up one side (or remove, slip to the side, whatever turns you on).

NOTE: The Automatic Repeater Shift on 2 meters and 440 is not affected by this mod! The “Band Edge Beep”, on the other hand, does not function.
NOTES:

* The modifihoneyion information for MARS is the official modifihoneyion information from ICOM USA, so the modifihoneyion may not be appropriate for versions other than the USA #5 unit.
* IC-7000 owners performing the mod do so at their own risk.
* The diodes should be unsoldered carefully, not broken or crushed.
* If decision is made to reverse the modifihoneyions, remember these are diodes, and must be replaced in the proper direction
* No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of the mod info, or for the consequences of its use.
* Transmitting on unauthorized frequencies is in breach of radio regulations.

USING THE TVRO FUNCTION:

After modifihoneyion, TV channels 2-13 are available (USA) in NTSC format

* Push and hold [AF(set)] for one second to turn TV mode ON and OFF
* Rotate [M-ch] (inner control) to select the desired TV Channel
* The Band keys to the far right of the radio also change TV channels
* There will be a popup showing the TV channel (This can be turned off in set mode)
* The preamp and attenuator functions are functional in TV mode and each channel can store the preamp/attenuator on/off functions independently
* There will be a popup showing the ATT/P.AMP status (This can be turned off in set mode)
* Rotate [AF] for a suitable volume level.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 December 2009 09:48]

Topic: ICOM R-7000 Receiver Heat Sink Cooler
ICOM R-7000 Receiver Heat Sink Cooler [message #74] Sat, 09 September 2006 20:32
The new ICOM R7000 25-2000 MHz receiver is a super radio, but the power supply tends to run hot. The two biggest heat generators are the pbasstransistor and bridge rectifier module. The stock heat sink, a flat piece of metal bolted to the inside of the cabinet rear, is inadequate. After 30 minutes of use, the back panel gets very hot, and the entire cabinet warms.

I added a small heat sink to the outside of my radio, using the screw that holds the bridge rectifer to the stock heat sink. An application of heat conductive grease between the added sink and the cabinet helps the heat transfer process. Now the rest of the cabinet gets barely warm to the touch.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S

[Updated on: Sat, 09 September 2006 20:37]

Topic: Icom 02AT Frequency Modification
Icom 02AT Frequency Modification [message #64] Sun, 25 June 2006 16:41
icom 02at mod 140-163 mhz

a. locate a copy of the june 1986 issue of 73 mag.

b. the article on pg. 60 is for models with id numbers lower than 35,000. if yours is one of the newer models like mine..... then follow these changes:

1. read the entire article b-4 doing anything!!!

2. follow steps 1 to 3 on pg. 61 "modify ur 02at" then s t o p ! refer to fig.2 on pg. 60 and remember the diodes on urs are in different locations than in the pix.

3. using a very small flat blade iron and some solder wick remove the the three leg diode d2 notice that the numbering for d1,d2,d3,d4 are off to the left of the actual location of the diodes on the board.

4. resolder d2 down in position d5 try to use the solder on the pads.. only add solder to the pads if absolutely necessary, b-4 you put the diode in place to avoid bridging.

5. solder a store bought 1n914 or 1n4148 diode from the top pad to the bottom left pad of d4. you will need to bend and cut the leads of the diode and pre-tin with solder. bend the leads of the diode so that the body of the diode across the bottom right pad covering it up. the banded end ohe the diode should be facing down towards mhe bottom right pad.

now you are ready to follow steps 7 to 13 and the rest of the instructions in the article. the only difference you will find is that a letter "u" will flash to indicate unlocked instead of the entire display flashing.
 Topic: Audio Modification for Icom IC02 and IC04 Radios
Audio Modification for Icom IC02 and IC04 Radios [message #63] Sun, 25 June 2006 16:38
This audio mod works on the 02 and 04AT. It increases the level of audio, as well as rolling off some of the lows. Sounds real nice. It involves the circuit around Q105.

1. Replace C119 with a .01 uF cap (disc ceramic is fine).

2. Parallel R131 with a 1 uF cap (use a tantalum cap).

3. Parallel R132 with a .01 uF cap (disc ceramic is fine).

This is not the same mod as the one International Radio is advertising, which involves changing C117.

I tried an AB-1 Audiolaster from Engineering Consulting, and was very unhappy with the results. I am very pleased with the audio given by this mod (much cheaper too!).
----------------------------------
 Topic: Icom IC02 PL Out of Band Modification
Icom IC02 PL Out of Band Modification [message #62] Sun, 25 June 2006 16:36
The following method of modifying the Icom IC02. This one should give you PL out of band without jumpering 5 VDC to the tone chip. Use 1N914 or equivelent when adding diodes.

1. On the logic matrix, remove D402 and D403.

2. Add D402, D403 and D404 with the cathode at 4 o'clock and the anode at 12 o'clock.

3. Retune the VCO to cover your desired frequency spread. My 02AT did not want to go beyond 163 MHz. I have a friend whowas able to get his to the low 170s.

4. To jump from 140 to 150 or from 150 to 160 (or vice versa) you must "tune across" the boundry, in the same way that you do for an unmodified 02AT. For example, key in 149.995 and then move up until you are in the 150s. You can then enter any 150 MHz frequency (starting with the MHz).

-----------------------------

***->Be careful not to transmit out-of-band, or accidentally operate on any non-amateur, unless you are authorized to do so.

DO NOT JEOPARDIZE YOUR LICENSE!
 Topic: ICOM I290 Modification
ICOM I290 Modification [message #61] Sun, 25 June 2006 16:33
OBJECTIVE:
---------
The objective of the modification is to implement a delay before scanning restarts when, in SCAN-STOP mode on BUSY frequency, the received signal disappears.

The modification will then allow a frequency to be free for a while before scanning resumes. With this modification, it will be given a chance to a signal to come back within a few seconds before the scanning restarts. Now multiple QSOs or poor signals won't be truncated any more because of a too much impatient scanning !

WHAT TO DO:
----------

Very simple. On the SENSOR UNIT, just solder a jumper between: - the unused contact of switch S3 (the one corresponding to the TIMER OFF position of the circuit commanding the SEL pin of IC1) - and the EMPTY signal of connector J3 (this is the extreme pin nearest S2 on the SENSOR unit)

ATTENTION, there are some errors on the electrical scheme that I possess reference A-0488 :

* The S3 switch is represented in position TIMER OFF and not ON as written. You have to reverse labels OFF and ON.

* The signals BUSY and EMPTY on connected are reversed. EMPTY (SQ1) is on the extreme left pin of S3 and BUSY is on 2nd pin of this connector S3. In fact, the switch S2 is drawn in the BUSY position and not EMPTY.

HOW IT WORKS :
-------------

The TIMER starts when pin SEL of IC1 goes to 0V. When the TIMER is running, the scanning is halted. The scanning also stops when the BUSY signal is low level (0V) on pin SQL of IC1. Let us suppose that a signal is received. Then BUSY goes to 0V and scanning halts. At the same time the EMPTY signal , which is the inverse of BUSY, goes to 5V and the TIMER remains off.

If the received signal disappears BUSY goes high and EMPTY low, then the TIMER is enabled and starts running. It also maintains the scanning in halt mode.

If, at the end of the TIMER delay, no signal has come back then the scanning restarts. If a signal comes back before the end of the TIMER delay then the BUSY signal returns to 0V and maintains the scanning in halt mode. In the meantime the TIMER will run until the end of its delay without any action on the process.

The TIMER delay is chosen with the R32 potentiometer on the SENSOR UNIT. The minimum value is about 4 to 5 seconds which is perfect for this working mode.

CONCLUSION:
----------
Small modification .... great effect !
============================================================ ==============
Note: Proceed at your own risk.
 Topic: Expanding Functions for the IC-V8000
Expanding Functions for the IC-V8000 [message #58] Mon, 08 May 2006 23:54
This PDF contains content on the ICOM V-8000:

1. RX Frequency Expansion
2. TX Frequency Expansion
3. ANI Function
4. Voice Scrambler Function
5. MIC Gain Level
6. Wide and Narrow Function

Click here for the PDF document for these function mods

[Updated on: Mon, 08 May 2006 23:55]

Topic: Icom IC-2720H Out of Band Mod
Icom IC-2720H Out of Band Mod [message #57] Fri, 28 April 2006 23:23
 Topic: Icom 735 TX Mod
Icom 735 TX Mod [message #56] Fri, 28 April 2006 23:13
The mod for gen/cov tx for the IC-735 involves removing D33 and D34 from the main board. You'll have to lift the PA module up to do this, locate the diodes and simply snip one end of each. Very simple, but it's amazing just how many screws need removing in the process!

Good luck,
Simon Browne G0GWA.
 Topic: Icom IC-2100H Extended Transmit Mod Sheet
Icom IC-2100H Extended Transmit Mod Sheet [message #55] Fri, 28 April 2006 23:11
Icom IC-2100H Extended Transmit Mod Sheet

For the first time anywhere on the web, the Icom IC-2100H extended frequency transmit modification and mod instruction sheet.

The socessor to the very popular IC-2000 unit, the IC-2100H has been around for a few months now and is selling for about $200 at most hamfests. The unit uncludes PL encode/decode, and 55 watts out at high power. But up until now the modification insturctions have been unavailable!

Brought to you by:

Spectracom Communications, for all your commerical radio needs call 732-989-1091 or e-mail to Spectracom98@webtv.net

W3EAX, Amateur Radio bassociation at the U of Maryland

KB3CVD, UMBC Amateur Radio Club

And amateur stations KC2AEI and W2SJW.

Please give us credit when copying these instructions!

STEP 1: HOLD DOWN THE SECOND AND THIRD FRONT FUNCTION BUTTONS WHILE TURNING THE RADIO ON. NOW TURN IT BACK OFF.

STEP 2: CAREFULLY REMOVE THE LARGE TUNING KNOB AND REMOVE THE TWO HEX SCREWS THAT HOLD THE FACEPLATE ON. PULL THE FACEPLATE STRAIGHT OF THE BODY WITHOUT TILTING IT (YOU RUN THE RISK OF BENDING THE PIN CONNECTORS BEHIND THE FACEPLATE).

STEP 3: TURN THE FACEPLATE OVER AND LOCATE THE MAIN IC CHIP, SET AT A 45-DEGREE ANGLE. JUST TO THE LOWER LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE IC, YOU WILL SEE THE MAIN PIN CONNECTORS. UNDER THE LOWER RIGHT CORNER OF THE LEFT PIN CONNECTOR, YOU SHOULD SEE A MARKING ON THE PC BOARD LABELED AS "D16". JUST BELOW THIS SHOULD BE THE MATCHING DIODE, CLOSE TO THE BOTTOM EDGE OF THE BOARD. REMOVE THIS DIODE AND CAREFULLY RE-bassEMBLE THE RADIO(WATCH THOSE FACEPLATE PINS!!

THE RADIO WILL NOW TX 136-174 MHZ. AS FAR AS I KNOW, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RESET THE MEMORY TO MAKE THE MOD WORK( I HAVE 70 OUT-OF-BAND MEMORIES STORED, ALL OF THEM WORKED WITHOUT RESETTING THE UNIT!!!!!

September 5, 1998 - KC2AEI
 Topic: Alinco DR-600 Mod Extend TX/RX
Alinco DR-600 Mod Extend TX/RX [message #54] Fri, 28 April 2006 23:05
Hi, I just got the info on how to modify the Alinco DR-600. I have activated these mods and they seem to work fine. Here they are:

Mod 1 - Activate 108 - 142 MHz and 810 - 998 MHz Receive
--------------------------------------------------------

Remove head unit from radio and open it up.

Inside you will see a red and blue wire.

Cut the red wire.

Open the main unit and attach a wire to CN-205. This will be your antenna for 810-998 MHz.

Close everything up.

Reset the CPU by holding down the FUNC key while you turn the radio on.

To use: The VHF key toggles between 108-142 and 2m. This toggle only works in VFO mode.

The UHF key toggles between 810-998 and 70cm. This toggle only works in VFO mode.

Mod 2 - Extened tx/rx on 2m and 70cm
------------------------------------

Remove head unit from radio and open it. (2 screws on back)

Inside you will see a red and a blue wire.

Cut the blue wire.

Put everything back together.

Reset the CPU by holding down the FUNC key while you turn the radio on.

You can now transmit and receive on the following freqs: 130-174MHz and 400-517MHz

Be carefull!!!!! You can now transmit outside of the HAM bands. Don't do this! If you do you WILL get caught and the FCC loves those $10,000 fines.

NOTE: I take no responsibility for these modifications. If you blow up your radio it is not my fault. If you have any questions about these mods call Alinco.

Chris Levin levin@cosmic.physics.utah.edu
 Topic: BC2500XLT Cellular Mod
BC2500XLT Cellular Mod [message #53] Fri, 28 April 2006 23:02
I have never tried this mod. I have one page which I received from Grove about this modification for cellular restoration.

The page notes that the modification may not be really necessary, because you can still hear the cellular communications in the image frequencies 21.6 MHz higher that the true cellular ranges. Thus, you will hear cellular calls in the 894.01 to 915.60 MHz range on your BC2500XLT without modification.

If you really want to do the modification, here are the step-by-step directions. Most of what follows is copied verbatim from the Grove sheet, which does not have a copyright notice on it. Therefore, I'm bassuming it's OK.

1. Remove the antenna and battery pack from the BC2500XLT. Lay it on its face on a soft cloth or towel, bottom of the radio facing you. Remove the two upper (black) and two lower (chrome) screws.

2. Carefully pry the back loose from the radio and lift it off. Similarly, grasp the visible circuit board by the edges and carefully pull it away from the radio just far enough to separate it from the white (11 pin) Molex connector. Do not stretch the remaining ribbon connector. Lay the board alongside the radio.

3. Locate microprocessor chip "UNIDEN UC-1513A", the speaker, and the battery terminals. Below the microprocessor and above the speaker and battery terminals, locate the cluster of chip resistors marked "104". Using a magnifier and fine-point soldering iron, unsolder the lower-left-most chip resistor and move it one place to the left, soldering it in place.

Cellular restoration is now complete. Rebassemble the radio by reversing steps 1 and 2, and test it by entering 879.990 MHz. Search steps in this range will be the correct 30 kHz.

As I said, I have not tried this modification, so I can't testify to whether it really works. Grove states that Grove Enterprises bassumes no responsibility for damages or other liability resulting from attempting to duplicate this procedure. It is possible (probable?) that this modification may void your warranty.

Also keep in mind that there are at least two versions of the BC2500XLT. I don't know whether these modification applies to all versions.

Finally, the obligatory note to remind you that monitoring mobile telephone conversations, including cellular, is against federal law.
 Topic: Cherokee AH-50 HT Mods
Cherokee AH-50 HT Mods [message #52] Fri, 28 April 2006 22:58
Hello,
Here is an output power mod for the popular Cherokee AH-50 6 meter handie talkie. It is the first mod I've ever seen for this radio. Regular high output is just under 5 watts. After this mod you can get about 6-7 watts output while using an external 12 volt dc input and on low power about 3 watts is typical.

1.Remove all external screws and carefully pull apart the unit. Be careful not to lose the rubber PTT and feature button pads that will become lose while doing this as well as the plastic slider that locks the battery pack and power cord in place.

2.You will notice there are two separate,sandwiched circuit boards that make up the unit, one is the CPU and LCD display, the other is the RF component section. Gently pull the display board free of the RF section. They are joined together by a multi-pin terminal.

3. With the RF section fully exposed you should see a metal grounding pad that covers the underside of the RF section as well as the rf output coaxial wire. Desolder the legs of the grounding pad, as well as the lead of the coaxial wire closest to the BNC and move the grounding pad to the side, exposing the underside of the board. Use extreme caution as there are multiple surface mount components very close to these points.

4.Find the main output transistor-2SC2078 marked "C2078". It very easy to spot. It is screwed onto the radio's heatsink. With the grounding pad moved, you can now desolder the three pins on this transistor and remove. Replace with a 2SC2166. Be sure to use heatsink compound on the back of the new transistor and the heatsink during replacement. Locate an inductor with a core behind and to the left of the output transistor. There is a small hole in the heatsink above it for tuning. Tune this and all the other spring-like coils around the output final for maximum output at 53 MHZ. Make sure the radio is set on high power for this! You should see close to 6-7 watts output now, instead of the stock 4.8 watts. Rebassemble radio in reverse order and enjoy. Don't forget the radio will put a big strain on your battery pack on high power with the higher output. It is advisable to use low power setting with battery use and high only when an external 12v source is applied.

'73 KB3HAZ
 Topic: Alinco DJ-160 Mods
Alinco DJ-160 Mods [message #51] Fri, 28 April 2006 22:55
The new Alinco DJ-160 Radio will receive between 137-174 Mhz, and transmit in the 2Meter band only (144-148Mhz). A simple modification to the radio will enable it to transmit in the full range it receives currently. I have not tested the output power on other frequencies (Due to my one and only watt meter getting fried)however I have tried setting a weather receiver a small distance away, and I did hear the radio in the receiver. To make the mod, the following must be done: (I bassume that you have some experience with electronics and that you can tell a wire from a resistor, from a transistor)

1) Take the battery of the radio by lifting the battery release button. If you look at the bottom of the radio, there will be a metal plate that is held on with 4 small screws. Take this plate off, noting exactly how the clip was held on (like the slot for the battery release clip)

2) On the back of the radio there are two screws that hold the back of the radio on, take these screws out.

3) Now you should be able to lift the bottom part of the radio by the battery release button slightly apart. I was told that you should take the top knobs off, but I found that I didn't have to.

4) If you take the Battery Release Button and turn it about 90 degress, the button should come out easily. After you get the small piece of plastic that is the button, you should see a yellow wire behind where the clip was.

5) Take a small wire cutter and CUT this YELLOW wire. You should probably make sure that the wire doesn't have bare metal showing from a lousy cutter, because I don't think that grounding this wire to the case would be HEALTHY for your radio. Smile

6) After You cut this wire. bassemble the radio, and just before you turn on the radio, do a power reset by holding the FUNC button while turning on the radio. This will reset the radio to ALL of the factory set parameters. YOU WILL LOOSE PROGRAMMED FREQUENCIES that were programmed into the memory mode of the radio, so just write the frequencies down before proceding with the above instructions.

7) The radio should be just like new, except that the transmit will be enabled for ALL frequencies! GOOD Luck!
 Topic: Kenwood TM-2550 Mars/Cap
Kenwood TM-2550 Mars/Cap [message #46] Fri, 31 March 2006 23:49
The TM-2500 series radios may be easily modified for use on MARS/CAP frequencies from 141-150.995mhz. Locate the control unit (X54-1860-XX) on the bottom of the radio. This is the same board that the TU-7, and or MU-1 are mounted on. Just to the left of IC3 you will find a row of diodes. Cut diodes D8, and D11. After the diodes have been cut you will have to "reset" the microprocessor. Microprocessor Reset. 1. Press and hold the [PS] key. 2. Turn ON the power switch. 3. Release the [PS] key. All of your programmed data such as memory channel data, DCL data, and Phone number data will be erased and you will have to reprogram them. If the radio is not reset, it will not recognize that you have cut the two diodes.
 Topic: Kenwood TS-940s IF-10C Serial Interface
Kenwood TS-940s IF-10C Serial Interface [message #43] Sun, 19 March 2006 23:36
The TS-940s inside serial interface is not available now so here is a solution.

Kenwood TS-940s Serial Interface

Topic: IC-208H Extended RX-TX mod
IC-208H Extended RX-TX mod [message #42] Sun, 12 March 2006 17:33
  • Place the radio with the front panel toward you and bottom side / speaker side UP.

• Remove the (4) screws located in each corner.

• CAREFUL! Go slow, you will need to disconnect the speaker cable while removing the cover.

Look at the lower right hand corner of the main printed circuit board.

• You should see a silver crystal with the number "D196D3C" printed on it.

• Just above the crystal, you should see an (8x8) matrix pad (see below diagram).
    o o   o o   o o   o o
    o o   o o   o o   o o
    o o   o o   o o   o-o   <-- Remove
    o o   o o   o o   o-o   <-- Remove

Note: there are ONLY (2) resistors in place. (Bottom right and the one directly above it).

• REMOVE BOTH RESISTORS [Do NOT attempt this unless you know how to use a low wattage soldering iron]

• RESET THE RADIO, hold the [SET LOCK] and [S.MW-MW] buttonsdown during power-up.

DONE! New RX/TX Ranges

118.0000  -  135.9875    RX-AM only
    136.0000  -  173.9875    RX & TX (15% RF power fall-off at lower freq, Full 
                             power at high freq)
    230.0000  -  399.9875    RX only
    400.0000  -  478.9875    RX & TX (Do NOT transmit below 410MHz on HI-PWR, 
                             VSWR fold-back)
    479.0000  -  549.9875    RX only
    810.0000  -  849.0000    RX only
    849.0000  -  869.0000    RX only
    894.0000  -  999.9875    RX only

Author: KD4CWB
  •  Topic: IC-7000 Fan Mod - Cool as ice
    IC-7000 Fan Mod - Cool as ice [message #40] Tue, 07 March 2006 01:09

READ ALL OF IT BEFORE PREFORMING THE MOD!

Use a baby thermometor ( the electric kind w/ the digitial readout ) and see just how hot your rig is running before preforming the mod, I know most all of my readings were over 106F then the thermometer errored out as the temp was too high.

Tempurature Measurements were made with a baby-tempurature thermometor ( sorry its all I had at the time ).

Heres the Proof!

----------------
    top - left front 94.6F
    top - left rear 103.8F
    top - right front N/A (below 85.5F unable to get reading)
    top - right rear 92.7F

Right side front 90.6F
    Right side rear 91.5F

Left side Front 95.0F
    Left side Rear 98.1F

After cw keying for aprox 5 min continous duty the heat generated by the IC-7000 did rise enough to enable to the temp control circuit. Heres the good news!

Once the temp control circuit kicks in, the fan goes into high-rpm mode!!! Then returns to 'normal' operation with the 2W / 100ohm resistor voltage.

So with this mod, you get a dual speed fan without any additional modifications!!

Forgot to mention, when you goto solder the lead to the red wire of the fan, please place a rag or something undeneath the area you will be working in ( its pretty tight ) to prevent any unwanted solder dripping down onto the main board.

When closing everything all up, there is a little pink sticky pad ontop of the cover unit to access the mars/cap and tvro mod. Place your wire so its right on top of the sticky pad. Seemed to be the best place for it at the time.

Options, the Red wire from the fan connecter to the main board could be snipped between the connector and the solder joint to avoid any complications with the temp circuit enabling.

Additionally, the back left of the rig, still feels warm to the touch but its more of a luke-warm, instead of what it was previously which was excessivly hot. The back right, front left and front right all feel cool to the touch.

Im sure there are better ways of preforming this modification, although just stealing 0.14A from the 12v+ DC on the tuner port seemed to make the most sense, since an LDG Tuner only uses 300mA when in operation.

Although I do not know how this will affect the autotuner as I do not have one, I am unable to test this modification with an autotuner, such as the LDG Z11 or Z100.

Your Icom 7000 Running Hot? ... Heres the FAN mod!
    ( This has been untested with an inline tuner )

1. Tuner Lead #3 is +12v DC, tap into Tuner Lead #3 with a wire ( theres enough room to simply slip a solid copper wire into the crimp for lead #3 )

2. Add a 100ohm Resistor at the other end of the solid copper wire ( a 100ohm pot will work if you wish to be able to vary the speed of the fan )

3. Strip the insulation of the red wire to the fan back just enough to make a solder connection to the 100ohm resistor / 100ohm pot. We used a lighter to burn away a bit of the insulation in the middle of the wire b/t where it connects to the board and where it connects to the fan itself.

Wrap it all up with some electrical tape to prevent grounding. and Whala! Your Done!!

Tuner Port on back of the IC-7000
    ^
    3 +12v DC -> wire -> 100ohm resistor -> fan red wire
    -

A 100ohm Pot could be used instead of a resistor, values below the 100ohms will increase fan speed.

0 resistance - sounds like an airplane.

Topic: Yaesu FT-41 wideband receive Modification
    Yaesu FT-41 wideband receive Modification [message #36] Wed, 14 December 2005 00:22
    Wideband receive

1. Turn the radio off
    2. Hold down the two buttens marked MHZ and A + B ...
    3. And turn the radio on at the same time......
    4. Now you should have wideband recieve!!
    This mod covers 420 MHz -- 470 MHz FM.

PLEASE NOTE !!
    Not all laws in some countrys permit the listening of these bands so please beware when in public veiw or memoriseing channels e.t.c..

If you dont like the mod just repeat the mod again and that will go back to normal settings..
     Topic: Extended Frequency Enhancements for the Yaesu FT-23R(2M), FT-33R(220), and FT-73R(70cm)
    Extended Frequency Enhancements for the Yaesu FT-23R(2M), FT-33R(220), and FT-73R(70cm) [message #35] Wed, 14 December 2005 00:21
    Greetings and hello radio amateur operators.

The topic is increasing the functional frequency coverage of what has been probably Yaesu's most popular handheld tranceivers.

To save manufacturing costs, Yaesu engineers designed multiple personalities in the same CPU module found in the FT-23R, FT-33R,UHF FT-73R and the FT-2008/7008 tranceiver. The FT-2008/7008 tranceiver is the commercial version of the Ft-x3R series.

Unique features of this mod include
    • the just say Mao feature (**)
      (NO FREQUENCY READOUT: Ch 1 thru Ch 9 appear on your display.
      Great when you aren';t looking and some fellow ham tries to rip off your simplex frequency)

• the GREAT WHOPPER
      (opens the CPU to 50-300 Mhz or 220-550 Mhz coverage. Full (.100 Mhz to 999.9995 Mhz) adjustable freq coverage available so far only on the FT-33R;this doesn't mean you can actually transmit but the Activity light goes in TX and you get a good fake RF bargraph that indicates that you can transmit on 750 MHz.
    How to do it:
    1. Contemplate invalidating your warranty. No beginners beyond this point. If you don't know how to solder, don't learn here. Ask an elmer to bassist.

2. If you treasure your memories, write out your contents of your radio on a piece of paper. When you make the changes, the CPU runs a small diagnostic and see that the jumpers have been changed. It will ERASE ALL PRIOR SETTINGS.

3. Dissbassemble your tranceiver.

4. Find the line of solder connections running down the CPU board. GENTLY move all wires aside so you won't melt them.

5. Using solder wick and a Good low-power soldering Iron, see chart. Read special notes for the FT-33R.

6. Rebuild radio and count your blessings.

(**)NO FREQUENCY READOUT

Removal of the solder bridge labeled number nine will activate the commercial side of the CPU module. To flip to the amateur mode, you would press F UP Arrow. To flip to the commercial mode, you would press F Down Arrow.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
    +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+= FT-23, FT-73R Chart =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

50 to 300 Mhz spread        220 to 550 Mhz spread
       --------------------        ---------------------

Open bridges 8,9            Open bridges 7,8,9

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
    +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=FT-33R Chart =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Same chart as above, but I wanted to add my experience of the Yaesu FT-33R 220 Mhz radio.
    When I removed number 7 and then did a cold reset , the CPU cleared and showed me a L and a freq. I put .100 in.
    Press D/MR. Then a U appeared. I turned the VFo knob until 999.999 appeared. Press D/MR.

I also had to reenter the Repeater Split to the proper value.

On the VFO, I could QSY down to those limits (using F UP/DN) and listen to my local Channel 13 on 215.720/.660.

Yes, 216-220 Mhz is available with this mod. Great if 216-220 is the next 220 subband.

Notes
    1 Cold Reset of the CPU Board.
    With the radio upright and your nose pointing at the CPU board, look at the Lower Right Corner of the CPU chip. You will see two parallel SMT resistors. Below them is a screw with possibly a paper washer. To the right is a SMT device (it's a cap) with a pointed end facing Left. Ground that point to the screw or to the case with a flat screwdriver. Awhile doing that, cycle on/off the radio to ensure a good reset. Remove screwdriver and then rebassemble radio.

Topic: Modification FT-27 expanded frequency range
    Modification FT-27 expanded frequency range [message #34] Wed, 14 December 2005 00:19

Remove the screws holding battery track and rear cover.
    Locate the "CONTROL UNIT".
    Close jumpers 1, 3, 7, AND 8.
    Rebassemble the radio.
    Turn on the radio and program it as following:
    "1" 135.000 PRESS D/MR THIS IS LOWER RX LIMIT
    "2" 185.000 PRESS D/MR THIS IS UPPER RX LIMIT
    "3" 135.000 PRESS D/MR THIS IS LOWER TX LIMIT
    "4" 185.000 PRESS D/MR THIS IS UPPER TX LIMIT

Press and hold D/MR, T and REV while TURNING ON if you need to reset or reprogram the radio.

Notes:

Jumper 5 is for 25 KHZ steps default value.
    Jumper 9 is for battery back-up.
    Jumper 10 is for 1750 HZ repeater tone access.

Topic: Yaesu FT-26 Expanded Frequency
    Yaesu FT-26 Expanded Frequency [message #33] Wed, 14 December 2005 00:18
    1. Remove the battery and antenna.

2. Remove the four screws holding the back track.

3. Remove the two screws in the back case.

4. Carefully seperate the front cover.

5. Locate and remove solder on jumper pad 10. (on the control board)

6. Apply solder to jumper pads 1,3,7 and 8.

7. Rebassemble the radio.

8. Turn radio on and each channel indicater will blink.

9. Enter the following frequencies. (use the [F] and up arrow keys)

CH.1 135.000 Press [D/MR] Lower Rx limit
    CH.2 174.000 Press [D/MR] Upper Rx limit
    CH.3 135.000 Press [D/MR] Lower Tx limit
    CH.4 174.000 Press [D/MR] Upper Tx limit

I accept no responsibility or liability for the results of any modification.
    Performing modifications and the use of modified radios may be a violation of laws.If you have any doubts do not perform any modifications.

Pages (6): [ «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »]

Current Time: Thu Jul 31 19:40:26 EDT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08848 seconds
    .:: Contact :: Home ::.